Help me please. My explorer bar and desktop icons keep disappearing on and off...

Discussion in 'Software' started by chocolateflowers, Sep 19, 2008.

1. chocolateflowers

chocolateflowers Private E-2

Hello everyone I am a completely noob when it comes to computers and software and I'm really pulling my hair out over my windows xp software.

I have scoured the internet and I've gone through dozens of forums in aid of help to fix this bugger once and for all but I still have not managed to find a solution to the disappearing desktop icons and explorer bar.

These are the methods I have tried:

Ctrl Alt Delete and typing explorer.exe in File + Run - It will only let me use explorer for a while till it disappears again.

Right clicking my desktop to show icons (won't work as I can't access the right click facility)

Downloading SuperAntiSpyware,Spybot Search and Destroy, Virtumondo, Combofix, Abexo Free registry cleaner... and all the software you could possibly think of

I have tried a system restore

I have also changed and retyped in the value of explorer.exe in my shell registry list...

The only method that I have not yet tried is the pasting of a log etc - I simply do not know how to do this!

Please help me out, I would be very grateful. I think I may have ruined my father's laptop :S

2. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

Hi and welcome :wave
    you should start a thread in the malware removal section and upload the logs that were created by running superantispyware and the other tools, but do make sure you have properly followed the "Read & Run Me first" procedure before making a new post in malware....

3. chocolateflowers

Ok, I will do. I think I have read the item you mentioned...

And aside from spyware, could it be that some of the programs I used got rid of some vital registry components :S

4. chocolateflowers

By the way Thank you for the welcome :)

5. Doc13%

The read and run me make sure you follow the correct procedure for your operating system!

You can find out if your have any further software issues once you have ruled out malware. :)
    for all we know malware might not even be involved...but since you mentioned you had started to download tools for malware removal...
    what programs did you use?

6. chocolateflowers

Here is my SuperantiSpyware log:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2008
  7. chocolateflowers

Mainly the ones I have mentioned...

Also, before I encountered the explorer disappearing I had a BIG issue with something called 'MS Antivirus and also Micro Antivirus or something like that, I managed to get rid of that manually by going into regedit and deleting their sources. Soon after when I restarted my pc the whole explorer fiasco started :S

8. Doc13%

Hi :)

You are posting your logs in the wrong forum! Only a malware expert can assist you with this. So make a new post here ONLY when you have the requested logs

• MalwareBytes antimalware
    • Superantispyware
    • combofix
    • MGTools.zip

and do not post your logs INLINE .. please attach them instead :)

Then all the more reason to get yourself sorted and upload those logs :) ask if you have difficulties attaching etc...

9. chocolateflowers

Oh right, forgot about that! :eek:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds