Help me save typed URLs, etc.

Discussion in 'Software' started by EMchance, Nov 10, 2006.

1. EMchance

EMchance Private E-2

While I was on a business trip my wife let my grandkids "play some games" on my computer.

Well, they did more than that. I guessed they did some surfing. And they contracted some viruses or whatever. Anyway, my wife (bless her) took my computer to the local repair shop to have them removed (hoping I wouldn't notice, I assume).

Anyway, it still works EXCEPT that I am no longer able to save/see typed urls nor anything typed in the 'run' box once I have rebooted the computer.

I really don't want to deal with the techie at the computer store about this right now for reasons I won't get into. I was hoping someone had a quick fix.
    I did try browsing several 100 Google pages but all I mostly found was how to REMOVE rather than SAVE the data.

I am hoping it is a simple registry tweak someone can put me wise to.

Thanks.

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

I think your talking about Auto Complete.

• Load Internet Explorer
    • Click Tools -> Internet Options
    • Click the Content Tab
    • Click the AutoComplete Button
    If you want to save everything, check all boxes or you can check whichever box you wish to save.

3. EMchance

EMchance Private E-2

No, that's not it, I'm afraid.

Everything (the pull down menus enumerated) stays visible during a session.

Once I reboot, whatever was typed is no longer there and is gone from the registry.

I am wondering what to look for to find the cause of deletion. There has to be some sort of embedded command. Failing that, is there a way to protect that part of the registry from deletion?

I'd be happy to know some registry-type 'keywords' to do a search in the registry so as to find the root cause.

4. Goldheart

Goldheart Private E-2

There may have been some sort of utility installed that is clearing IE/temp files.

Check the IE options, specifically History settings.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds