Help me stop beating my head against the wall!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by xratedsoldier, Jul 14, 2006.

1. xratedsoldier

xratedsoldier Private E-2

OMFG I have been working on this network for like 6 hours straight I have done everything that I know to do and still can't get this thing to work. I am going to give you all of the information...it's kind of complex so bear with me(well complex to me any way).

1) Sattelite Internet, Skynet Modem
    IP Address: 203.110.192.70
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.252
    Default Gateway: 203.110.192.69
    DNS 1: 202.5.191.30
    DNS 2: 202.5.191.60

Connects to:

2) Linksys Router, BEFSR41v4
    Static IP
    IP Address: 203.110.192.70
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.252
    Default Gateway: 203.110.192.69
    DNS 1: 202.5.191.30
    DNS 2: 202.5.191.60

Connects to:

3) 24 port switch

Connects to:
    (This is where my Problem is)

4) Linsys Wireless Router, WRT54GS
    Internet works fine from hard line up to this point.
    IP address 192.168.1.7,
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Local IP: 192.168.5.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Here is the tricky part of all of this, I have upgraded all firmware on all routers on the network. I have the exact same router connected to the same switch with almost the same settings as this one. The only thing that is different is the IP address and the Local IP. The second wireless router is working fine. I have tried to talk to linksys, they know less than me Ithink they hire people by asking them if the know how to breath(dead means "NO"). I tried their setup. I have tried setting up static ip's. Turning off firewalls. I have tried all kinds of other things. I just can't think of anything else to do. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

I am attaching my Dx Diag for system settings hope it helps.

Attached Files:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Okay, I can see why you might be getting frustrated here! You're trying to use your last router strictly as a switch! This is possible, but takes the right configuration.

Here's what I did to make this work:

First, make sure that your switch is NOT connected to the 'Internet' port. It has to be on one of the switch's ports. I made that mistake with our BEFSR41, and I took down the entire segment.

Next, I gave the router a static internal and public IP that matched.

Next, I disabled DHCP. I wanted the gateway to be assigning IPs.

Lastly, I disabled NAT. I didn't want this router messing with my traffic in anyway.

This worked for us. The computer I'm using now is set up in this fashion, and I haven't had any troubles accessing the network (and I can obviously get on the internet). It doesn't sound like you'll have any trouble with these steps, but just in case, you can find the documentation for your wireless router at this link. Also, I've attached pictures of our setup.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  3. xratedsoldier

that didn't work. it keeps saying the lan and the wan are the same(i like, no s***) the BEF is the main router on the network, its the wireless router that is messing up. for some reason it's not accepting the internet connection. I don't know. thanks for the suggestion though

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

This is what else concerns me. The default gateway for your WRT54GS should point to the internal IP of your BEFSR41, as it is at the perimeter of your network. Also, why aren't all devices using the same subnet mask? Does that not screw up your NAT?

5. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Sorry...dumb question here.

Why not replace the befsr41 with the wrt54gs and connect your 24port switch to the wrt54gs?

Don't forget if you connect switches together you need to use the UPLINK port or a crossover cable.

You may also get confused if you don't power up all of the devices in the proper order because they appear to be using DHCP.

6. xratedsoldier

Hey guys, thank you for your help but I finaly got fed up with tht e whole thing and just walked away from it for a day. I didn't think about it at all(to the dismay of the other soldiers here in Iraq that rely on the the internet:))

You are all going to laugh at me for this. So this morning I decided that I would disconnect and unplug everything on my leg of the network. I have three wireless routers...1. Linksys, 2. Netgear, 3.Belkin. The linksys and netgear routers I have found out are good but the belkin router is crap. There are many known problems with this router. Some people say it's over heating...whatever it's crap that belkin knows about. So I just never use the thing. I thought, you know, maybe it's the routers, both netgear and linksys(since I had tried both) won't work. So I hooked up the belkin router, and guess what...it worked! I was like what the f***???:confused:

So I looked at the settings on the belkin and applied them to the linksys. And guess what...it worked. I thought i should just slap myself after I realised what I had done. All I had to do is set the connection type to DHCP and change the local IP address to 192.168.2.1

So it goes to show, if you are doing anything with a computer keep it simple...:eek:

To answer some of your questions...We have two floors over here. So on the bottom floor I have every room hard wired to the switch. On the 2nd floor I don't have enough CAT5e to hard wire the rooms upstairs so I have to use wireless routers...well natters. There was another question I was going to answer but now I can't remember. Oh well. Thanks for looking and answering this post. Back to training Iraqi's...Later.

Oh and the Netgear router is crap too because you have to have an internet connection and have to run it's set up before you can get to the manual configuration. So the Netgear router won't work now so I have to use the POS belkin.

7. xratedsoldier

Oh yeah I remember now what else I was going to say. The Subnet mask doesn't affect the network because the first router is routing from the modem to other computers. So I make the other routers think that they are just connecting directly to the internet and the run on their own subnet mask. To easy right? Stupid computers always want to do only what we program....jeez!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds