Help me to completely disable the touchpad (on a laptop)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by klos, Jul 27, 2010.

1. klos

klos Private E-2

I am on a sony vgn-fw11m laptop, having a BIOS from American Megatrends; version: R0270Y0. My BIOS does not include a manual option of disabling the touchpad.

I am not interested in running a third party software that would disable my touchpad, I consider this a waste of resources and unprofessional.

If you know how to help me, please dont hesitate. I wonder whether it is possible to tweak/add new functions to the existing BIOS version.

My system: Windows XP, 64-bit edition.

Thank you all.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I am curious as to why you want to disable it completely when all you need do is plug in a USB mouse.

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

I have the touchpad on my Compaq Presario Notebook PC disabled because I had a tendency to acccidentally touch it when using a mouse with the computer. This computer has a small button on the edge of the touchpad which can be used to disable the touchpad. But, I believe many notebooks/laptops do not have such a feature and some other method must be used to disable the touchpad if, indeed, it can be disabled.

I suggest you search for your model at http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/select-system.pl?DIRECTOR=DOCS and see whether they have a user manual you can download. I tried a search at that link but did not find the model you posted. Are you sure that's the correct model #?

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

How is a third party app unprofessional? lol.
    Take the unit apart and disconnect the cable.
    Every laptop I have taken apart has a separate ribbon cable for the touchpad, but then you may get stuck with a hardware error when you boot.

5. klos

klos Private E-2

if a third party software can do something as simple as disabling the touchpad, why shouldnt I be able to resemble the same process, just independently?:major

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If you have touchpad on/off button you could also try putting a small piece of tape over it too.

Most touchpads I've seen use integrated PS2,if there is an option in bios to disable PS2 this should work also.

7. klos

klos Private E-2

i was thinking of taking it apart, although not until ive tried everything else.

8. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

9. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

I'm a bit confused also. Why bother?
    When I plug in my USB mouse, in my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, the touch pad is still fully active.

My laptop, and touchpad, are on a different level to my USB mouse so the touchpad is never a nuisance.

There are probably a lot more non-essential processes that take up more resources than the touchpad.

Bazza

===

10. klos

klos Private E-2

Well the only thing that is bothering me on the whole, is that some wanky software (synaptics in my case) can disable a touchpad device, while I cannot - cannot despite having all the rights and access to every bit of system configuration. It is a pity and makes me feel ignorant/distressed in the end.

11. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Just be aware that if you do disable your touch pad and your mouse dies, you are in big trouble.

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

In my Toshiba Satellite Pro laptop, there is this option. See attachment.

Checking the box "Disable Internal pointing device" on, may meet your requirements.

I haven't checked the box on in my laptop, so I don't know if it causes any problems later on.

Bazza

Attached Files:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds