HELP!!! missing/ corrupt windows\ system32\ config\ system

Discussion in 'Software' started by gthomas, Mar 25, 2008.

1. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

I turned on the comp this a.m. and got a black screen saying:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
    \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG|SYSTEM

You can attempt to blah blah blah

The only disk I have is a Recovery and Applications/ Drivers disk that came with the comp. It won't do anything but do a spin. It won't load up, start up.

It is just over a year old, a Toshiba Satellite laptop.

When I start in safe mode, it will come back to the screen saying the above.

When I went to bed last nite, there was no problem. I wasn't looking at anything illicit. Just the same stuff I normally do.

Any suggestions.

2. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

you may want to do a scandisk on your comp and click automatically fix errors.

3. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

How do I do that?

4. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

click on my comp then right click on c: drive scroll down to properties youll see tools section. do scandisk first then youll have to restart your comp.

5. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

lol

You may have missed that it won't start up I get the missing/corrupt file saying regardless if I do a normal start up, or try a safe mode start up.

6. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

oops i thought you said it was working again, try restart comp then hit f8 button a screen will appear choose last knwn good configuration..if it does boot up do the above that i mentioned.

7. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

I tried Safe Mode, Safe Mode w/Networking, Last known good config, all go back to the black screen with the bad saying. lol

8. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

well then we have to figure out the cd recovery to work. are u able to get to the bios if u can set your boot order to d: drive will load your cd up.

9. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

I have the recovery disk that came with the comp, but I don't know how to load it up. When I insert it into the cd slot, it won't just load up. Is there any other way to do it.

On hitting f8, there is a Enable Boot Logging an a Reboot (under windows normal start up). Is that it? If so, or not, how do I it?

Thanks.

10. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

no dont hit f8 anymore. start your comp hit the delete button while booted or your screen on the corner will show you what button to hit to get to the bios where u can set your boot order. d: first then c: second but dont mess with anything else in your bios.

11. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

What he's getting at this: put your Windows XP disc in the CD drive and reboot the PC. If the BIOS is set to boot to the CD first, you will see "press any key to boot from CD..." and you'll press any key. You'll then see some blue setup screens with white letters. Let this do its thing until you get to a screen where you're told "Press Enter to install XP, press R for the recovery console" etc... Press R. Answer the questions that come up; the first one is something about using a non-standard keyboard and is on a 5 second timer. If you press nothing, it will be fine, so don't press anything. Then answer the questions that follow (usually you'll press the number 1 for the number of the Windows installation you want to enter and then enter your admin password if you have one, if not press enter). When you're sitting at the C: prompt, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter. It will take some time so be patient. It may appear to lock up at times, and the percentage may even go backwards at times, it's normal. Chkdsk can up o 6 hours or more depending on the size and condition of the hard drive, so be patient. NOTE: there is a space before and after the "c:" in the command I posted above. If that doesn't work, try this:
    http://www.short-media.com/articles/repair_windows_xp
    Good luck!
    :major

12. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

OK thank you.

But hitting delete did not bring another screen up. The potions I have are on startup are F2 (system config) and F12 (boot menu). On Boot menu, Do I change 1 HDD to cd/dvd (which is 3)?

Sorry, I am not 'technical'.

EDIT: I found it on the link you provided. Standby please.

And thank you.

13. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

OK it is in Recovery of Factory Default Software mode. Is that good? lol

EDIT: There is no XP cd, only a revory disk disk that came wiith the computer.

14. scott_hayes89

scott_hayes89 Corporal

you will need xp auto-cd to do this maybe u can borrow one from someone else

15. gthomas

gthomas Private E-2

It did it all the way. It reloaded all the factory settings.

I guess that's one way to do it. lol

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds