HELP my computer wont turn on, something wrong with motherboard

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by johnny815, May 19, 2008.

1. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

ok so i was looking around in my uncles computers motherboard for something to plug in a fan i was about to put in it, i pulled something or attempted to pull this black object out. after failing i decided to quit while i was ahead so i didnt break it. too late. i tried to turn on the computer but it wudnt turn on. so i opened the case and i messed around with the little black plug looking thing. after a bit it turned on but the screen never did. after attempting to turn it on a few more time with the screen working it just all together stopped turning on. any idea on what happened and what i need to do to fix it? here the picture of the thing

Attached Files:

2. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

o and the computer is a dell dimension 3100

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It looks like the black thing was just a USB connector. It shouldn't have been the cause of your computer not starting. Recheck all your connections and cables to make sure something else didn't get loosened while you had the case opened. Also check the connections on the back of the PC.

Copy of the manual Here

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  4. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

no it wasnt the usb connector, i have also rechecked the connections numerous times. the thing i messed up was to the right of the usb connector

Attached Files:

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know much about motherboards. It looks like it could be clock related to me. Maybe try to seat it as best you can and then reset the CMOS jumper? I don't want to mess you up..perhaps someone more familiar will answer.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  6. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

ok i found out i had to replace the mother board cus i took it to a computer repair shop. i broke the frequency controller. and dell says the motherboard costs 150 dollars. im thinking of a alternative way of fixing this. maybe getting a new motherboard and a case too? any ideas. o and if i do replace the mobo myself it would be my first time, would i have to reinstall anything like drivers and os or will it stay o0n the hardrive? o and im not really upgrading im trying to pretty much do this with the lowest cost possible and the same specs in the end thank you

7. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

8. Tarquin BA

Tarquin BA Private First Class

Possibly a cheaper way to do it might be to get another identical motherboard off ebay. There are usually loads of boards for sale on there. If you find the model number of the board, you could then see if there's one on ebay. Could be easaier and cheaper than getting a new one.

9. johnny815

johnny815 Private E-2

thankx i just check ebay and there was only one and it was buy it now 129.99 and shipping is prob gonna bump that to 150 anyways so ima just get the store to repair it since itll prob be better in the long run.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds