Help my graphic card suddenly stopped working!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coldcell, Jun 5, 2012.

1. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

I was playing a game as normal when it suddenly freeze.

I restarted my PC and suddenly my graphic card is not detected at all! I thought it might be the driver issue so I tried installing the driver. But when trying to install, all I got was failure message.

I'm not sure what's the cause and how to fix it. I attached the screenshot of my screen looks like when rebooting.

I'm using GeForce 9800 GT and running Windows XP.

Attached Files:

2. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

Updated: I notice that when I power my PC on, the GPU fan spins very fast but then it slows down and now not spinning at all! I tried spinning it manually (when PC is off) and it spins nicely without resistance. What could be wrong?

3. LTLSU

LTLSU Private E-2

Sounds like a bad bearing in the fan which will cause the video cards core to overheat.

What you can try is this: Its possible that the bearing has dried up and it's now stuck.

Adding a drop of oil to the bearing should be enough to lubricate it and get it going again. If you peel back the sticker from the back of the motor, you should be able to access the bearing. Just put a tiny drop of oil in there. Too much oil can be just as bad as not enough.

If this fails all you can do is RMA the card (if its still under warranty) or IF ITS NOT UNDER WARRANTY:

Take out a small philips head screwdriver and remove the screws holding the plastic together on the cards casing. Remove and replace the video cards fan AFTER wiping off the dried up thermal grease on the GPU CORE (with 90% rubbing alcohol) and a coffee filter, REAPPLY some new thermal grease (Mx-2, mx-4, artic silver 5 or something similar) and another fan of the same dimensions and screw everything back together firmly.

Good luck.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds