Help! My Keyboard Won't Work Right!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jesse Newell, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't know what to do. I'm panicking! Suddenly, from out of nowhere, my laptop keyboard just went all screwy. I tried to type in a url, and a window with my desktop contents appeared. I tried to do something else, I've forgotten what now, but whatever it was, my homepage got added as a bookmark, when that had nothing to do with what I wanted to do. I tried entering something in the search field of the classic start menu, and all I got was a noise like what happens when you hit ctrl+f and your search term isn't found. I restarted the computer in a panic and found that when it came on again, it immediately went to the screen where I'm supposed to enter my password, instead of the patterned screen that displays the time as usual. I can't enter my password because the keyboard won't work, and I don't know how to activate the on screen keyboard. HELP! What have I done wrong?! I'm on Windows 8.1

2. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Oh god, someone please help me soon. I can't think of what to do here. I can't login to the computer and I'm panicking! I don't know what I've done!

3. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I finally managed to activate the on screen keyboard but it's not working either. My integrated keyboard, usb keyboard and on screen keyboard are all screwed up and I don't know what I've done wrong! I'm panicking! I tried hitting all the letters on my usb keyboard at the login screen to see if any of them worked, and all I got was a message saying I'd entered the incorrect password when I hadn't even hit enter! Please help!

4. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

I am concerned... One of the old tricks is to take the battery and power source out of the laptop. Turn it on a few times without the power. Replace the battery. Turn on and see if that helps.

If you can use your mouse you could open device properties and see if there are any irregularities.

Of course you could always http://www.pcworld.com/article/259112/how_to_replace_your_laptop_keyboard.html
    Good luck with it.
    s.

5. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't dare try to take the battery out. I don't know how to. But even if I did, how could I turn the computer on a few times without either the battery or mains power. Surely the computer needs at least one of those power sources to turn on at all.

I can use my mouse but how could I open device properties? I can't login to the computer at all so I don't see how I could open anything.

And I don't see how replacing my keyboard would help. As I said, all three keyboards are screwed up. My integrated keyboard, my usb keyboard, and even the on screen keyboard. None of them are working properly. I don't understand why, when I turn the computer on, the patterned screen that displays the time is immediately bypassed, as if I'd hit enter. But I'm not hitting enter. The computer's just acting as if I am. And enter seems to be the only key that is working. After a minute of being on the login screen, the computer goes back to the patterned screen with the time, and hitting enter brings me back to the login screen. I'm really panicking here!

6. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I turned the computer off and on again and now I can't even activate the on screen keyboard again. I think I did it the last time by right-clicking the ease of access icon a couple of times. But now all that happens when I either right-click or left-click it is the narrator starts up. What do I do?

7. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Do you have a 'Restore' or 'Repair' dvd?
    Did you make the 'System Rescue' disc when you first got the laptop?

8. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I've just discovered something else. I now know why the computer reacted as if I'd hit enter when I hadn't when I was trying all the letter keys earlier. A through L don't work at all but I've tried M three times now and it's consistently working like the enter key. Please someone tell me this is easily solved.

9. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

None of those are options. I have none of them.

10. Imandy Mann

Some one with a similiar version of Windows can make a 'Repair and Recovery' dvd or thumbdrive to see if it can boot that way. Then troubleshooting or repair might be done.

11. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Is that really my only option? The system boots ok. It's just the keyboard that's screwed up. I'm hoping the fact that M consistently works like the enter key might be some clue. At least it means the keyboard isn't screwed up in a different way every time the computer comes on.

12. Imandy Mann

If you could run 'sfc scannow' it might fix itself. From a boot dvd or thumbdrive you might be able too get an option to select something to troubleshoot using your mouse

13. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

So I'd still have to get someone with a similar version of Windows to make a boot dvd/drive for me? As I say, the system is booting up fine. I just can't get past the login screen because of the screwed up keyboard.

14. Imandy Mann

Unless your can get one of the f keys to work to let you in the recovery mode.

Did anything happen to the keyboard. Can it be blown with canned air?
    Did it get wet? But then the on screen should be working. But moisture could affect the whole machine maybe.
    Let it sit if so to dry out.
    Is it getting hot? Again canned air to blow the vents out.
    Did you change anything just before this happened?
    Look \ Smell \ Listen \ Think and sometimes think is the hardest part when you're in a panic.
    Sit back, breathe, and think>

15. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Can you start in Safe Mode?

16. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Have you tried another keyboard? I presume your laptop has USB ports.

17. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

It can't be a physical issue with the keyboard. As I've said, twice now, all three keyboards are screwed. Integrated keyboard, usb keyboard, on screen keyboard. All three are not working properly. The machine didn't get wet and it's not getting too hot. I didn't install any new apps but I may have leant on a key or key combo without realising it. As I've also said a few times, I just don't know what I've done.

18. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't know. I don't know how to start in Safe Mode.

19. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

All three keyboards are screwed. Integrated, usb, and on screen.

20. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Forgot to mention, I don't know if any of the F keys will work. I haven't tried any of them yet. I don't know which ones to try.

21. Imandy Mann

I'm not sure on a laptop -and- with Windows 8.1 - things are different. Hopefully someone familiar with 8.1 laptops will see this.

22. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Hope so. I'm gonna look up how to start in Safe Mode and see if I can do that at least. But won't I still need my password though?

23. Imandy Mann

In safe mode minimum services are started and the system could act and respond differently.

24. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I've got something. I clicked the power button on the login screen and held down shift while clicking restart. That gave me a blue screen with 4 (I think) options. Continue and restart, shut down, something else I didn't read in time, and troubleshoot. Could I be on the way to solving thiis?

25. Imandy Mann

Get going!

26. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't want to do anything without instructions. The 4th option, by the way, was use a device, like a usb drive or a recovery dvd, neither of which are options right now so I picked troubleshoot. That gives me the options refresh my pc, reset my pc (obviously not an option), or advanced options. Which one should I choose?

27. Imandy Mann

Check advanced to see if that brings up 'trouble shoot'

28. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

29. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Sorry, I think you're confused. I'm on troubleshoot. I said troubleshoot gives me the options refresh my pc or advanced. So which one should I choose?

30. Imandy Mann

Maybe there is some advanced troubleshooting tools in 'Advanced' like chkdsk or sfc or what not. go to advanced and see whats there, maybe a restore to a previous time if this is software related.

31. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

32. Imandy Mann

My connection gets cut off and I have to keep logging in. Don't be surprised if I'm gone. Someone else is still watching , I'm sure. But I think your getting along fine and close to it!

33. Imandy Mann

If it offer to 'restore to a previous time' I would try that first before a total restore.like a restore to yesterday or last week if it's offered.

34. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

There's system restore (what I think I'll try), command prompt (probably not an option as I can't use the command prompt without a keyboard), system image recovery (not an option right now as I haven't made one yet), uefi firmware settings (no idea what that means), start-up repair (not really necessary as it's only the keyboard that's the problem), and start-up settings (not necessary either yet, I hope).

35. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Thanks. Hope so.

36. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Yep, gonna try that now. Thanks.

Imandy Mann likes this.
  37. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Oh NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried system restore but it says I have to enter the password for my account!

38. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't know how to get out of the system restore menu. I only have two options. Select my account, for which I have to enter my password, or click "Forgotten your password or can't see your account?" Well I know my password and I can see my account; I just can't enter my password because of my screwed-up keyboard!

39. Imandy Mann

Select your account. And if the keyboard still isn't working, then shut down or reboot just as you have been doing,then get back to the options where you see startup repair. I would try startup repair and let it run it's course

40. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I can't shut down properly though. As I say, my only two options are selecting my account or clicking "Forgotten your password". There's no way to safely shut down. The only way I can think of is to press and hold down the power button.

41. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Well I panicked and just pressed and held down the power button. Fortunately, I've managed to get back now to the blue screen menu. Are you sure I shouldn't try refreshing the pc? What does that mean exactly? Or should I definitely just go ahead and do the start-up repair? The thing that concerns me about that is that it says it's for fixing problems that keep Windows from loading. But Windows is loading. I just can"t get past the login screen.

42. Imandy Mann

It can't hurt to run startup repair.
    A system restore or refreshing, you should go slowly and see what you might lose. Sometimes it says you won't loose your personal files. That's the ones in C:\User\YourName\ Documents..Music...Video and such. But if you have files (mp3's or mp4's) in a file that's just located on the drive as in C\:Music, you could lose it ...Maybe!

Some restores offer a backup before running, in which case you'll need an external device.

43. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

DAMN IT! Start-up repair ALSO requires my ****ing password! What should I do?

44. Imandy Mann

Anything on the disk you don't want to lose? Music Video Pictures?

45. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

I don't want to lose ANYTHING on the disk. I mean I have almost everything backed up but not everything, and I still want to keep it all on the computer. Might just refreshing the pc help, or would that ALSO require my password? Could I try booting into Safe Mode?

46. Imandy Mann

47. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Just read it. I THINK it should be safe to try a refresh. One of the folders where everything should be safe is Desktop, and that's where my non-backed up stuff is. The article does say a couple of worrying things, however. It says I may be informed that some files are missing so I'll need an 8.1 installation disc or recovery disc. I don't have either. Also, it says that some of my system settings will be synced from my Microsoft account. I don't have a Microsoft account. Should I try seeing if I can boot into Safe Mode without my password before I go drastic with a refresh?

48. Imandy Mann

Yes. Eldon already asked about that.

49. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Nope. Apparently, you need your password for ****ing everything. Even just booting into Safe Mode. Guess I'm gonna have to try a refresh then. What do I do if it tells me some files are missing when I don't have either an 8.1 installation disc or a recovery disc?

50. Jesse Newell

Jesse Newell MajorGeek

Good news and bad news. I'm in. Somehow, I got into my computer. The usb keyboard seemed to stop working entirely. Not even the enter key worked. I tried entering my password with the integrated keyboard and it worked! I got in! But that's when the craziness really started! Everything's ****ed up. I still have all my files where they should be but now the integrated keyboard isn't working AGAIN! The usb keyboard's not working at all. I don't know how to access the on screen keyboard. How I managed to access it last time was sheer luck; hasn't worked since. And now the MOUSE is all screwed up. I tried opening a blank document to see if I could type and when I found I couldn't, I tried closing the window and I couldn't. I can minimise the window but I can't close it. Ctrl shift esc won't work because the keyboard won't work. And double-clicking a folder on my desktop not only opens that one but the one to the right of it and several others on the desktop too. Sometimes, I'm not sure if the folder I've selected opens at all. So many open at the same time, I forget which one I selected. I'm running a fully up-to-date Malwarebytes scan now. It's almost finished and has so far detected two PUPs. My antivirus isn't reporting anything and Hard Disk Sentinel is reporting that the health of both my internal and external hard drives is fine. But my mouse and keyboards are completely screwed up!

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds