Help! My Pc Is Caught In A Bootup Loop.

Discussion in 'Software' started by dsw, Jun 23, 2017.

1. dsw

dsw Private E-2

I was re-installing the op system to my Windows XP (Yes, I know it's old but I can't afford a new one). I couldn't find the disk that came with the system, so I decided to up grade to Vista. All was well after install. I had updates and when they were installing something happened. I found the XP disk and started to install. It just quit part way through. I can choose Vista or XP.

If I choose XP I get:

Windows Boot Manager
    Windows failed to start
    File: \$LDR$

If I choose Vista I get:

File: \WINDOWS|system32\drivers\nvata.sys

I just want to get to reformat the entire drive in have a fresh install of XP. Can anyone help?!!!

Thank you in advance.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Using the XP disk, go into Setup and where you select the drive/partition to install XP to, select to format the drive/partition and then proceed with installation.

3. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As mdonah says, With either XP, or, Vista disc- Basically you need a complete format, deleting all existing partitions.

To explain it a little more-
    Put in the disc
    Into setup
    It will ask you where you want to install it
    BUT, you need to delete all partitions first-so , if it partially installed XP ,and Vista , you need to choose to delete the partitions showing-
    Then , you need to create a partition on the now unallocated space (all will be best-just click create,
    Then click format
    Then click to install on the new partition.
    Doing a complete format like this can help if the hard drive is a bit 'iffy'
    If at any time you find the error repeating itself, have a look at this link, and by all means come back for more help.
    https://neosmart.net/wiki/0xc000000f-error-read-boot-configuration-data/

If it just shut down, and left this message, then it could be several reasons - but I would go through this first.

4. dsw

dsw Private E-2

Unfortunately, it does the same thing. Just as a guess, I pressed F8 and got to the menu for Safe mode, etc. If I selected "Safe mode with network" It says "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:<WINDOWS root>\system32\hal.dll. Please reinstall a copy of the above file.
    Nothing seemed to work in this menu but I'm pretty much dangerous at this. I appreciate all you've suggested.

5. locodave

locodave Corporal

Can you get into safe mode without networking?

If so. Try to run sfc /scannow. If I remember right you put a space between the sfc and /. Others here might suggest more to try on commands.

6. dsw

dsw Private E-2

I tried Safe mode and Safe mode with Command prompt.

It starts to load and then I get:

File: \WINDOWS|system32\drivers\nvata.sys
    Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing or corrupt.

It never gives me a Command prompt.

7. mdonah

With the computer you're posting with, download MiniTool Partition Wizard's bootable CD ISO and burn it to a CD.

Boot your XP computer from the CD and delete all partitions that show in the application window leaving the entire drive unallocated.

Remove the CD, insert your XP CD and restart the computer. Proceed with normal XP installation.

If you still end up with errors about Hal.dll, it means your XP install CD has become corrupted in some way (perhaps it's scratched or there's some dirt/grime on it). Check the surface of the CD. If you notice a heavy scratch or gouge in it, it may not be usable any more and you need to get a new XP install CD.

If you notice dirt (even a small speck), grime (finger prints or other), you can take a lint free cloth and wipe in a straight line from the spindle hole to the outside of the CD to remove the grime. This should correct that problem.

8. dsw

dsw Private E-2

I tried it. The cd flashed a bit and then the pc does what it always does. It never got to the screen on the PW website. I thought it was going to work for a few seconds. I changed the boot order to cd first, too.

9. mdonah

This is beginning to sound like a hardware problem on your XP computer (the CD/DVD drive isn't working properly). I don't know if the laser lens needs cleaning or if the drive is failing (it happens, unfortunately). I'm at a loss for further suggestions since I don't have your XP computer in front of me where I can observe what's happening.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As plodr suggests it is possible the cd drive is faulty, but it is also possible
    that, your hard drive is playing up- possibly a bad sector around that part of the hard drive t you need.
    That partition wizard download is an iso file that needs to be put on a cd/dvd using something similar to imageburn (if you do not have one-)
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/active_iso_burner.html
    I can tell you that when I had a hard drive that had this problem, and I had little money, I used partition wizard to wipe the hard drive,delete all partitions, then create two partitions, the first one around 30gb, and the second one was the rest of the hard drive. I then installed windows on the second larger partition- voila- it worked o.k.
    Worth a try

11. mdonah

@baklogic ,

Oops. Check again. It was me and not plodr that suggested the OP's optical drive may be failing.

baklogic likes this.
  12. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

I am getting bad- yes , as mdonah said........cd drive playing up........

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds