Help needed - pc hangs on post screen at startup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jayjay77, Oct 25, 2013.

1. jayjay77

jayjay77 Private E-2

hi folks, been a regular reader of these forums for a while and have some useful things in the past

my problem is my pc

Asus M5A78l MB
    8 gig ram
    amd fx 41300 cpu 3.8g
    Asus Radeon HD 7770 gpu
    2 x 1tb hdd
    1 x dvd/rewriter
    win 7 64 bit system

had an issue last night, my pc froze up whilst player a game ( i know what caused the crash, it called total war rome 2 :major )

so restarted my base unit and this is where my issue happend, it got stuck on bios post screen, and wouldn't go any further. and after several attempts turning the power off etc, it booted up and went into windows.

now DVD drive isnt showing,(think it may of gone silcone heaven) would this cause the pc to hang on post, or would having an iphone attached via usb cause the post to hang? ( my thinking is maybe the pc was trying to boot from the phone, even thought i have set my boot options to boot from HDD 1st)

only thing i have recenetly done is run system mechenic clean up tools, (would this cause a podt issue, as thought it would cause an issue in windows, as post is just checking everything attached the mb is working)

so any ideas would be welcome

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

First, disconnect all USB items except the keyboard and mouse and try to start it. There are times a USB flash drive, SD card or external drive can cause the PC to freeze when started.

If you have a bootable CD, DVD or USB flash drive, put it in and try tapping the "F12" key for boot device options. If it allows you to change the boot order, boot from it. If you do not have one, there are several free bootable LINUX programs in the downloads section. If the PC boots from this alternate source, it points to your hard drive as the most likely issue.

If both of these fail, unplug the PC, remove the CMOS (button cell) battery from the motherboard and wait about five minutes before reinstalling it. This will clear the BIOS. You will have to reset the date and time on the PC if you do this.

If none of these tips work, post a reply and other members may have different solutions.

Hope this helps. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds