Help Needed Please - IE acting funny

Discussion in 'Software' started by DB Whitehead, Feb 11, 2008.

1. DB Whitehead

DB Whitehead Private E-2

Hi,

Hope you can help. I got attacked by something (don't know because it clobbered my TrendMicro and i had to reinstall to scan). I have run WebRoot, Registry Mechanic and PCIllin with what seemed to be minor stuff coming up, so i made a hijackthis log according to your instructions.

My IE doesn't work right. It loads and finds things just fine, but i cannot exit. I need to click the X twice and then End Task and then it takes 30 secs or more to close. Obviously something is lingering and it is beyond my knowledge. I hope you can help. I'd be very grateful.

Thanks!
    DB

Attached Files:

2. Corporal Punishment

Corporal Punishment Administrator Staff Member

This looks like an IE/Software issue and not malware. - Moving to the software forum.

Best guess:
    Remove the toolbars and see if that helps:

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn1\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Veoh Browser Plug-in - {D0943516-5076-4020-A3B5-AEFAF26AB263} - C:\Program Files\Veoh Networks\Veoh\Plugins\reg\VeohToolbar.dll

Second guess:
    You are using some programs which may be taking some time to close behind IE. Particularly Web HTTRack and WebCacheCleaner stand out.
    (IE doesn’t close because HTTrack is still copying – that sort of thing)
    A good place to start with that is to open task manager – then close IE – see if anything spikes the CPU or memory usage. Might help narrow it down.

Third:
    Get a copy of CCleaner http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4191.html and clean anything IE related – Including the index.dat.

Hope that helps.

3. DB Whitehead

DB Whitehead Private E-2

Hey Corporal,

Thanks for your help! I ran the CCLeaner and things seem to better. Thanks for reassuring me there was no malware!

Appreciatively,
    DB

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds