help needed: removing a pre-installed windows Vista from a laptop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mice Playing Chess, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Mice Playing Chess

Mice Playing Chess Private E-2

hi all. after enduring windows Vista for several months, I finally decided to try and be rid of it... no, I don't like it, the only thing about it I did like was the graphics, and XP's graphics are good enough for me...

anyway, I tried booting from an XP install disk: it couldn't find any harddrives, and trying to create a partition resulted in a BSOD... trying to delete one did nothing important, and trying tto install windows XP on the selected one resulted in a similar BSOD...
    I also tried to find a way to format the harddrive, which I found by starting up Vista in safe mode with command prompt... but the harddrive seems to be protected against the command "format C" (it does give me a Y/N choice, but if I enter Y, it tells me formatting the system drive is not allowed... it did give me something about it being NFTS, whatever that means (yes, I'm pretty much a n00blet on this, bear with me, please))

so yeah, I'm pretty much at a loss here as to how to remove windows Vista. one of my pals suggested the harddrive may be locked against formatting, since the laptop's (obviously) pre-built. but besides that, I don't know what to do :( please help?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Does it have an SATA hard drive?

3. Mice Playing Chess

I think so? at least there's a line stating SATA Port 1 in the BIOS main window...

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Windows XP does not include SATA drivers for all SATA controllers. Your laptop probably falls into this category. First, check to see if your laptop manufacturer has SATA drivers for XP. If not, you can't. If so, you may use an external floppy drive to install the SATA drivers at the F6 prompt during the Windows installation process. If you do not have access to one or do not wish to spend cash on hardware you will only use once or twice, here is a guide to do it without the floppy drive. http://news.softpedia.com/news/Install-Windows-XP-On-SATA-Without-a-Floppy-F6-47807.shtml

Here is another guide which shows all the other capabilities the Nlite application previously mentioned has. http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp

5. Mice Playing Chess

alright, so how do I check to see if there are any drivers for my laptop's HDD? it's a Medion, by the way... better yet, where do I find which type of SATA HDD it is? >_>

6. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

Go to Medion's website and look up Windows XP SATA driver downloads for your laptop by model # or serial#.
    http://www.medionusa.com/
    If you're not sure, there is a support page which you can use to ask for help finding one.

BTW, it doesn't matter what hard drive you have. The drivers are for the SATA controller on your laptop's motherboard.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  7. Mice Playing Chess

ok, the number I managed to find anything at all with is MD 96691, but there's nothing in the list for a HDD or SATA... so, does this mean I'm screwed, and stuck with Vista? :(

also used the ful text search box, using MIM2300, but it still came up with nothing for that SATA controller... :(

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

This will tell you where to find your serial number for your computer.
    http://www1.medion.de/downloads/templates/hilfe_us.html
    Enter the serial# in the proper blank and that should take you to the driver download page. I forgot to mention this but you probably will need Windows XP graphics, audio, wireless and ethernet and other drivers for your laptop as Windows includes only a basic set of drivers, which may not support your hardware. These may not be available either. You may just have to learn to live with Vista.

9. Mice Playing Chess

the lovable bit is, there's plenty of other drivers (sound, video, network, card reader) listed that are XP compatible, just none that specifically say SATA... -_- damn those lazy <edit>

thanks anyway...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2008
  10. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

A link for SATA drivers: http://www1.medion.de/downloads/index.pl?op=detail&id=6610&type=treiber&lang=us

Be sure you have your Vista restore disc handy if it doesn't work.

11. Mice Playing Chess

"SATA driver of the WIM2210/WIM2220 notebook series."

mine's a MIM2300, so I don't think that one will work... :-/

12. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

That is why I suggest backing up your data and having a restore disc before trying this as it may not work. It is now up to you to decide how much of a headache Vista really is.

Make a support request if you want to proceed. Medion should be able to answer this question for you.

13. Polke

Polke Private E-2

Hi,
    Still wondering how to install and fully integrate XP on your Medion MIM2300 ?
    I had the same troubles, but managed it !
    It's too much and too difficult to discripe the protocol, in English, here.
    So if you like, contact me at my Hotmail-adress, and I'll explain it in Dutch.
    Greetz,
    Polke.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds