Help needed to connect Pentium 4 to internet.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TEKKKEN, Nov 1, 2007.

1. TEKKKEN

TEKKKEN Private E-2

Hi

I have problems connecting a 2nd hand Dell Dimension 2350 Pentium 4 to the internet (UK).

Story so far, brief as possible:-

- Service: Virgin Broadband (around 8 meg), supplied with Scientific Atlanta 2100 modem

- Previously connected old Dell Pentium 2 to the internet with USB + RJ45 ('ethernet') cable from modem to RJ11 ('adsl'?) 'LINE' socket in back of Pentium 2. This is the only networking socket available on this computer, and connection was made successfully

- Acquired Pentium 4, expected to simply swap the machines over and hook up in the same way - RG45 ethernet to RG11 LINE. However on attempting to install Virgin Broadband, process halted after passing hardware requirements with error 'FAILED - YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT HAVE AN ETHERNET CARD'

- Unlike the Pentium 2, the Pentium 4 does have an RJ45 networking socket as well as RJ11 'LINE' and 'PHONE' sockets, so I attached a new RJ45 from modem to RJ45 input in computer. Same results: 'FAILED - YOUR COMPUTER DOES NOT HAVE AN ETHERNET CARD'

Now, I could understand if neither computer would be able to connect to the internet via RG45 to RJ11 (apparently this is very old fashioned now), but that is not the case - the Pentium 2 hooks up just fine via its RG11 'LINE' socket, so why not the Pentium 4? Surely this newer computer will be equipped with everything the old one has and more? Why does this one look like it needs an 'ethernet card', but the old one doesn't?

Could anyone who knows about modems and networking help me out? I'm not too familiar with this territory. I'm thinking I might need to go and get an 'ethernet card' fitted, and then use the standard RG45 to RG45... but perhaps not if there is something I am doing wrong?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

First thing to try is power down everything, modem and computer, for a couple of minutes.
    Power up modem first and let it establish it's connection (all lights green and steady), then power up computer and see if the connection is established.
    If you get the same error message, check device manager for network adapters and see if you have any indications of problems there. (Yellow exclamation or Red X by the adapter.) (START > RightClick My Computer > Properties > Hardware Tab > Device Manager)
    With an RJ-45 connector available, you have a network adapter. Might be a card or onboard adapter.
    With Dells, you should have a Service Tag # on the computer somewhere.
    You can use this number to check original configuration and get updated drivers if you need them by going to Dell support.
    See if any of that helps.

3. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds