Help needed to verify that motherboard is fried

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dom_vex, Jul 11, 2008.

1. dom_vex

dom_vex Private E-2

I had a computer catastrophe: my power supply died, and I think my motherboard is fried, too. Here is what happened.

The last time my computer was used, it was shut down properly and the surge protector was switched off. When I simply switched the surge protector on, all of a sudden the two PC lights began to flicker (possibly alternating; I can't recall exactly), one of my CD drives began to open, and I smelled something burning from my PC. I quickly shut off the surge protector. I aired out the area and tried to start my PC again, but to no surprise, it would not start.

(At this point, I figured the power supply was toast, and the motherboard was probably finished, too.)

I opened up the PC. Things were dusty - it hasn't been aired out in years. I safely disconnected the power supply and looked inside - I saw a few burned components. I also looked over the motherboard, but did not see anything burnt or out of place. I was hoping that the motherboard was still okay, so I blew out the dust from inside the PC and then obtained a new power supply and installed it. Still, the PC would not start, nor did any LEDs on the motherboard or externally light up when the power was connected. (Yes, the on/off switch was set to on. I even tried switching the power cable and the outlet, just incase, but I reached the same result.)​

I believe my motherboard is dead, but I would certainly appreciate any second opinions in case I have overlooked something. Thanks!

2. CRASH101

CRASH101 Private First Class

There could be far more fried . But for now it is your Mobo and just an FYI NEVER EVER EVER NEVER USE just a simple surge protector You should have your computer conected to a UPC backup battery supply unit at all times and never EVER EVER NEVER turn off the power to a strip then back on that is when the power surges and the surge "protector" lets it go through the line .
    But yep your computer is toast now . GREAT JOB!

3. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

There are several kinder and less sarcastic ways of saying that...

dom_vex, if no LEDs on the motherboard light up when you press the power button then either PSU or board is shot, so you're on the right track there. If you have access to another PSU, you could switch them out, and see if that fixes it. However, if you can see burnt components, then it is very likely that the motherboard those components were connected to also is burnt out.

The sorta-good news is that your hard drive might still be okay, but you will need to plug it in to something to verify that.

4. CRASH101

Yes I know I really thought I was being KIND . I know that the OP tried a second PSU no luck I say that your computer is gone get a new one try to get a UPC for it and if you don't please do not shut off the power stick it will not help you save any cash any way .

5. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Whops, my bad for not seeing that. Then it is definitely the motherboard.

Very, very true. UPC is a good idea. Never turning it off while the PC is connected to it is a very, very good idea.

UPCs save countless computer lives every year. Support UPCs. :)

6. dom_vex

dom_vex Private E-2

Hey. Thanks for the replies!

First, no, I did not think CRASH101 was being inappropriate or sarcastic. The content was good, and lessons like this one ought to be memorable.

Second, I should have mentioned that all the other peripherals (modem, router, speakers and monitor) were fine. I believe the power supply unit was the main source of trouble for the motherboard - my guess is that it malfunctioned (possibly due to a small spike in power) and gave way too much power for the system to handle. Still, the motherboard is fried ... but at least now I have an excuse to upgrade my PC.

Third, my next PSU will have a high maximum wattage (so that I am not stressing it out with an "average" load), and I am going to get a UPS to ensure spikes do not wreak havoc on my system.

Last, I do have my important data backed up elsewhere, but I am going to try to salvage the hard drives to see if they are kaput.

Thanks again!

7. CRASH101

Once while my brother jason was siting at his computer a storm was looming over head not like you would think since in Portland or rain storms are a thing every day , well as he was siting there surfing the net and lightning bolt came out from no were ! yes a rare event there in the city of Portland . All my brother had was a surge protector well needless to say his entire computer was fried nothing was saved , the tree in the back yard took the full brunt of the bolt and so did his computer . well my brother went out got a upc battery back up and wouldn't you know after 2 years went by just about 3 months ago another bolt of lightning struck the tree again ! this time was different for my brother as he was on the computer the bolt struck the tree again taking out one more limb and this time the computer was SAVED ! yes a lightning struck the tree again and his computer was spared !
    So you can see why it is more than important to have a UPC battery back up .

8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

@ dom_vex You might want to try to clear the CMOS (should be a jumper near the battery) and try the other PSU. I suspect the board is toast, but it can't hurt. Never go cheap on a PSU! Trust me, I learned the hard way! Expect to spend $80+ for a good one. But it will work well for you and last!

@ Crash How do you rig up a barcode to protect your computer?:-D Dom needs a Uninteruptable Power Supply! I guess that grandkid of yours has you distracted!:-D

E

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

LOL I think he fused UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) with APC (a well known maker of UPSes) and ended up with a bar-code abbreviation (UPC = Universal Product Code) roflmao

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds