Help Needed With Basic CPU/MB Overclocking

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Aug 9, 2006.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Greetings.

I have an AMD 64 3200 + with 1 gig of DDR 3200 Ram running on an ECS L7S7-A2 motherboard. I am trying to overclock a bit. I have a few q's to pose:

The needed variables are in the "Frequency/ Voltage Control" area of the BIOS. The following values can be tweaked:

- Auto Detect PCI Clock
    - CPU Clock
    - DIMM to Voltage Adjust

The default CPU Clock setting is 200. How does that multiply to be the CPU speed? I have am aware of a relationship between bus speed and clock frequency that determines clock speed. My current clock speed, I believe, on a 3200 is 2.2? How is that exactly determined with my current setup? I bumped up the CPU Clock to "202" and the BIOS still read the CPU as a 3200.
    At what Clock speed will the CPU be running at the 3300, 3400 specs?

Additionally, what are the other settings? I think I know that if the hardware is overclocked there should be a change in voltage? And what of the PCI clock? I think I read somewhere that PCI clocks are super sensitive to frequency changes, and I do believe with this particular board I have limited options.

I am aware this ECS board is not the best for overclocking. I am doing this more for the sake of doing it and experimentation than for actual performance gain. I have done some research in regards to some of my answers but have never really read a straight explanation of directly asked these questions.

I have not overclocked since the days of my old P90. I had that beast overclocked to a brazen 100 mghz! Insane :) ! Additionally, I have attempted to overclock my ATI X700 Pro but most games freeze. I am sure it is my motherboard not liking the new frequencies.

Thanks in advance for any input.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds