help needed with new hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gikster, Dec 8, 2004.

1. gikster

gikster Private E-2

hi,

have just bought a mp3 player but when plugging it in to any of my usb ports it is not recognised. I also had this problem with my scanner.
    My printer works off the same usb ports i have been trying as does my keyboard and mouse.
    Dont understand what the problem could be. Can anyone help me please?

2. acejones

acejones A Different Title

need system info

3. gikster

gikster Private E-2

Its a Packard Bell, Intel Pentium 4, 256mb ram, running with windows me.

4. Omegamerc

Omegamerc MajorGeek

have you tryed buying a generic USB to PCI adater to see if maybe the problem was on your motherboard drivers/bios?

5. gikster

gikster Private E-2

Sorry dont know too much about pcs. But other devices work from the USB ports

6. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

These USB ports that the keyboard and the mouse use don't require much power to send the data from these devices. A printer might be a different matter, and some MB's specify which USB devices can be used on which ports due to the power issue.

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Please pardon my post above, as I didn't fully read and comprehend before replying! :)

8. acejones

acejones A Different Title

did the mp3 player come with a cd?

9. gikster

gikster Private E-2

Yes cd with both scanner and mp3 player. Have tried to uninstall the scanner and software a number of times with no luck yet it works on my friends laptop. Same with the cd for the mp3 player, I downloaded the software from the cd and when trying to open it, it says device not connected.

10. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

If I may...you said other devices work fine from the same exact USB port? Obviously the USB port is working fine and is not disabled in the BIOS. How many USB ports do you have? if more than 1, have you tried the other ports? Make sure you do not have any other devices connected to other ports. Also check your 'Device Manager' for possible IRQ conflicts...
    ...but at this point I am guessing the required device drivers are not installed properly.

11. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

what mp3 player is it? BTW

12. gikster

gikster Private E-2

I have 4 ports, two at the back and two on the front. Have tried the devices in all of the ports but still get nothing recognised. Not sure what mp3 player it is but in the instructions says I shouldnt need the disc to install it as am using windows ME.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds