Help Needed with Photo Renaming....

Discussion in 'Software' started by triespice, Feb 23, 2007.

1. triespice

triespice Private E-2

Wasn't sure where to post this, someone suggested this forum so here I am.

Not sure what I did differently, but tonight when I went to rename photos I had an issue.

okay i get a photo, and i save it in the folder i want.
    then i right click it to rename it...usually I rename it and off I go
    but tonight the box with the triangle and the exclamation comes up and says "if you change a file name extension, the file may become unstable...are you sure you want to change it"
    UGH..... (since this is a time sensative issue)
    ANY IDEA WHY THAT HAPPENED all of a sudden??

and what do I do to get it back to normal....like NOW :)

With great thanks
    ~TRIE~

2. _dinsdale_

_dinsdale_ Corporal

So can you go ahead and rename it despite the warning? If you can make sure you do add the extension

Dins

3. triespice

triespice Private E-2

if i rename it anyways, the icon turns into a white box, with what looks like a white piece of paper with the top right hand corner curled down. In the middle is another box with blue and red stuff (not sure what)
    When i click on it, the what do you want to open this with box comes up and my list of things to open it with. I can pick a number of things on the list, but the photo wont open
    If i click properties on any of my .jpg photos it will say

type of file:paint Shop Pro Image
    Open with: Paint Shop Pro 8

once i rename a photo and it does what i outlined above, when i right click and choose properties it now says....

type of file:file
    description:whatever the file name is now

any ideas???
    TIA

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you have Show File Extensions activated?

In any Windows Explorer window Tools>Folder Options>under View tab, uncheck Hide Extensions for Known Filetypes.

When you rename a photo look carefully at the full name including extension before renaming. Watch to see exactly what is changing about the extension after renaming.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds