Help! PC bogging down when using software

Discussion in 'Software' started by drgrim, Mar 6, 2007.

1. drgrim

drgrim Private First Class

Hey all. I am using P4 2.8GHz2.81GHz , 512 mb ram, XP pro SP2.
    Last couple weeks I have had problems with software . I cant play any games at all, they start to load then all screens just dissappear although I can still see the exe running in task manager. I can wait hours but nothing happens. Also when trying to burn a dvd/cd the program gets all the way to 99% then tell me that either I have no burner drivers, a full disc, or some other problem. Same is happening when trying to convert AVI's to DVD...gets nearly to the end then locks up at 99%. I have run all the read me first and followed all the steps but have found nothing at all. I am using spybot search & destroy, Adaware pro and avast antivirus.I do have a lot of sofware on my system but have had quite a clean out thinking that maybe that was a problem but nothing has changed. Short of a clean install of XP Im really not sure what to do next. Any ideas??confused

2. DutchMarco

DutchMarco Corporal

I think you should go to the Malware Removal forum, explain the situation and post all the logs required for the malware removal pro's. it might take a lot of time, but it's worth it.

3. drgrim

Ok..Ill give it a try. I was wondering if it might be some sort of hardware failure?

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Sounds like you are running short of disk space. It's all downhill for Windows once the disk is more than half full and curtains once there is only 15% free space. In general burning a DVD takes between 2 and 3 times the DVD size in hard drive free space.
    You have had a clearout. Have you also run check disk and defrag?
    If not try it.
    Also look at the startup tab in MSCONFIG and see what is starting with windows. If you don't feel confident about this Post the list it gives.
    start>run>msconfig

Studio T

5. drgrim

I cant copy the list from msconfig...how do I post it?

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

If it's a long list and it shouldn't be
    Try this

Copy the text between the lines
    ------------------------------------------------
    %SystemRoot%\system32\cmd.exe /c %windir%\system32\tasklist.exe /svc >"%USERPROFILE%"\Desktop\Tasklist.txt
    -----------------------------------------------

then
    Start-Run
    type
    CMD
    hit enter

Now rt click and paste the above and hit enter

There will apear on your desktop a file Tasklist.txt

Post this file as a MG insert (preferable) or copy and paste it into a post.

Studio T

7. drgrim

ok..done

Attached Files:

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Nothing jumps out as malware from a quick look at the file. However you are running a heck of a lot of programs in the background.

'phone home for updates' programs
    logitechdestopmanager
    realsched
    jusched

programs waiting for connection to something
    ipod / itunes
    bitlord
    ezsp / cd writer
    digital camera/scanner

security / Admin tools

system mechanic
    Avast
    Ad aware

Go back to MSCONFIG and temporarily stop all these programs, using the disable all button. You can see the effect on speed, but do not surf the web without your AV. Then selectively re-enable the programs to see how this slows you down.

Finally, properly written programs such as MSMessenger (?) have options not to start when windows starts, but you can call them at any time by start>programs.
    Use the options or preferences or settings to do this for all programs you can.
    A little experimentation is called for. Also when you install stuff in future don't just go for the 'typical install' in case the supplier has phone home or startup programs set.

You didn't tell us about the hard drive, feedback is useful for future cases.

Studio T

9. drgrim

oops...120gig hdd , will do the rest and let you know

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I meant about running check disk and defrag and how much free space have you left.

To access these right click on the drive in my computer and choose properties and tools.

Studio T

11. drgrim

Ok..I ran a defrag and have 30% free space. Do you think this is the problem?? I have an external 300Gig drive...should I move some of my software to that drive?

12. drgrim

I have cleaned a bit more out and now have 36 gig free

13. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

As the hard drive free space drops below 50% Windows performance drops off rapidly. It can slow to a toal crawl at 20% and below 15% cleanup and defrag won't work.

You need a second or larger hard drive.

In the meantime look at Internet Explorer.
    Tools>internet options>temporary internet files>settings
    Set the amount of internet cache on the drive right down low. You don't need more than 50 MB if you have broadband. Also set the automatic update to 'every visit to the page' to stop IE constantly revisiting every page in its cache behind your back.

That should give you some extra breathing space

Studio T

14. drgrim

I ran a registry cleaner today and that gave me 38.6 gig free. I know thats still not enough but I tried burning a dvd just with some data and it worked! I got all excited and tried a movie but i keep getting the message that the disk isnt blank and to put a new one in. When I check it through my computer it says it is blank. Same damn error every time. Still cant run games either. Would it be possible that direct x might be failing or corrupt? Would that cause things like this to happen?

15. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Windows Rot!

I should make preparation for an orderly reinstallation at some point soon, most people don't get the warning time you have.

Meanwhile I'll come back this afternoon with some more tinkering advice.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds