HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PC died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lorilu, Jul 5, 2004.

1. lorilu

lorilu Private E-2

I am on a borrowed PC .. last night I was going to install a 1394 firewire card on my pc to work with my camcorder and I thought at the same time I would install some more ram a friend gave me................ well the pc makes noise and acts like it is starting up it gives me 1 long beep and nothing else........
    it has windows XP the upgrade on it.......................... I do not know much else and I am a beginner ,I uninstalled the extra Ram again and the 1394 card but the same beep thing is going on,,, what happened can it be saved? :(

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

VERY hard to diagnose from afar. Be sure all periphials are properly seated (video, modem, etc) and verify all cables are also connected properly. An easy mistake to make is to accidentally loosen a cable or card when you are tinkering in the case and not even know it or even see it when your looking for it. This is a first step :)

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

Also re-seat the RAM that's still in there.

4. lorilu

lorilu Private E-2

ok did all that stuff , (checked ,pulled out , reinstalled,video, Ram , Modem , cables , etc) also I think we tried to clear the BIOS (if we did it right) We are not very computer techy but we tried . WE still have the same problem . a long beep and a blank screen, He bought me another pc but we do have a bit of money in this one I would hate to just let it be a dust collecter or a item for the trash, any more suggestions?:confused:

5. sephiroth555999

sephiroth555999 Private E-2

the easyest way of killing bios settings is just to remove the silver battary on the motherboard unplug your system from the wall and leave it for about 30 mins. Also i would say just use you old ram not the new stuff hope that helps

6. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

What BIOS are you using? If we knew that we could tell what the beeps mean. I'm thinking something got bumped & is not seated well, most likely RAM.

7. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

Have you tried removing the RAM you just installed?

Have you tried removing the new 1394 card and seeing if it boots then?

8. lorilu

lorilu Private E-2

we tried reseating the ram and we removed the other stuff we added, Now we are going to remove battery and see if that helps ,,, thank you for the tips again . I will keep you posted

9. lorilu

lorilu Private E-2

oh yes how can I tell what BIOS it is ?

10. SixShooter

SixShooter Major Malfunction

Look for the chip on the motherboard....it will say ***** BIOS and a date on it.
    But it does still sound like something is not seated right.

11. lorilu

lorilu Private E-2

I think it is AMD .. unhooked the battery for 30 min same thing ....the book says AMD Athlon/Duron Processer is that what you mean?

12. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

The version of the BIOS is one of the first things you see when you boot the system, but since your's is not booting, this doesn't much matter. :)

Try taking everything out except bare bones. Minimal RAM, just video, mouse, keyboard and power.

13. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

FYI, there is another thread recently posted with another geek getting a long beep too, it is suspected that it may be the video card. So if you have another, give that a shot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds