HELP PLEASE-any recommendations for a router with more control.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ambercat, Nov 27, 2012.

1. ambercat

ambercat Private E-2

Hi
    I have requested help on this before but still haven't found what I need. I am looking for a wireless router where I can add and remove laptops at will and simply.
    I have 3 teenage boys in the house (I am a foster parent) who use up the bandwith before the end of my monthly usage. Nagging does not help as they all blame each other. I want a router where I can SIMPLY 'unplug' them for a time then reconnect them. I bought a TP-Link that has useful functions but only for wired computers-we are wireless. I have tried doing this via allow/deny in Mac filtering but when I go to allow them back on I have to put in all the settings again so it is more of a pain than it's worth. I don't really need time restrictions as they are all in and out at different times. I just want to be able to switch them off when I want to. I don't want to alter the router to switch off completely as I need my own laptop to be working.
    Does anyone know of a wireless router that will do this for me easily without messing up the whole system each time?
    I would really appreciate your help as I cannot spend all my time monitoring them-a quick fix is needed. When I am approaching my usage allowance I want more control.

Thank you

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

pfSense, Smoothwall with Wireless cards. If you want something off the shelf, Netgear. In reality, you are the parent, educate and use the privilege system. If you are concerned about where they browse, use something like OpenDNS http://www.opendns.com/home-solutions

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Look for MAC filtering under wireless on some routers. If not by a Buffalo preloaded with DD-Wrt and you'll have it. Get the MAC addresses of the latops's NIC card and put them in there to block or allow which ever way you want to do it.

Attached Files:

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

MAC filtering does nothing. MAC info can be spoofed. The fault of the network, is the administrator who is the parent.

5. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Well if this guy is living with hackers like that he might as well hang it up. But I'd say 98% of kids wouldn't know what a MAC address is. Just what can Smoothwall do any other router/firewall can not? How would you config smoothwall to stop the kids?

Every system has it's flaws.

BTW with DD-WRT running you can also block out days or hours of use... just saying.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

foogoo, you want to bet differently. Most kids in households with tech devices (ie computers), know more than the parents in the houses.

7. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

The Netgear WNR2000 router allows you to block Internet access by IP address.

"The WNR2000 router allows you to block the use of certain Internet services by computers on your network. This is called service blocking or port filtering. Services are functions performed by server computers at the request of client computers. For example, Web servers serve Web pages, time servers serve time and date information, and game hosts serve data about other players' moves. When a computer on your network sends a request for service to a server computer on the Internet, the requested service is identified by a service or port number. This number appears as the destination port number in the transmitted IP packets. For example, a packet that is sent with destination port number 80 is an HTTP (Web server) request."

Set up a wireless address pool with only three addresses (192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.3). Configure your own machine's wireless connection with a static address outside of the pool (192.168.1.50). Then set the block filter to block the three IP addresses in your 3 IP address pool. You can block by time schedule or log onto the router and tell the filter to block all 3 addresses when you want to do it that way.

I haven't tried this but it looks like it would work.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds