Help Please!! Dream Machine in trouble

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by arcanyme, May 2, 2004.

1. arcanyme

arcanyme Private E-2

Hi,
    I built a great computer! ( or so I thought ). I bought

Intel P4 2.8E 1MB cache
    ABit IS7 MB
    1 Gig Kingston Valueram(2x512)
    Maxtor 60GB HDD ( transfer from old system )
    WD 160GB HDD
    Geforce fx 5200 128MB
    Emperex DVD +/-
    52X Cdrom
    400W Power Supply

I ordered from newegg, and well I have had problems since I bought it. Abit's temp monitor says the processor is running at 70 Cel. I bought an Aerocool all copper heatsink, which replaced the replacement heatsink Intel sent me. Now my bios is losing hard drives. I shutdown most nights because of the heat issue. When I booted, I had no hard drives. then a reboot and reset of the bios brought them back. That stopped working yesterday. I now can see my WD, but the maxtor refuses to come up. I Had opened the case to reapply arctic silver ( thought maybe i had put too much on the cpu ). I am at wits end. Thanks for any help.

Arcanyme

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

To add to that make sure the heatsink is on THE RIGHT WAY. I was having heat issues with this machine and i thought i had the HS on the right way up, because it seemed logical for the clip to be where it was. But when i checked it was actually upsidedown!

As for the HD issue, try a different IDE cable and see if you have the same problem. Im guessing youre using them both on the same cable. could be a dodgey connector or cable.

3. arcanyme

arcanyme Private E-2

Hi, thanks for the quick replies.
    As far as the Heatsink and AS, I replaced that last night. I had problems with heat since I installed it with the boxed heatsink Intel sends out. I don't OC, so I felt that should be sufficient. I bought the Aerocool because the second heatsink Intel sent me made no change. I even went with AS hoping to make a major change. slowly it got worse. The temp reading over the past 2 weeks has climbed from 65 degrees Cel to 70 or higher with no load on the system. The heatsink I have can only be attached one way ( for dummies like me I guess ).
    I hadn't even touched the cables until today. I bought an AMD athlon 2.2 for my son. He's gonna have to wait for me to get mine back up and running. poor boy! :( Anyway I am going to leave the old cables in and setup this new board and then if they still don't work, replace them.

4. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

You have a Prescott P4. 70 degrees at idle is what Intel calls 'normal'.
    Under load, stock speeds, in open test beds, some reviewers have had CPU temps reach 90. HardOCP, with their first sample, had the thermal warning beep go off quite a few times, in normal non OC usage.
    The Prescott (P4E) is, well, a disaster for Intel until speeds reach 4ghz.
    Hell, the Prescott isnt even at 3.4ghz yet, which the old core (P4C, northwood) has been shipping at for awhile.

So, your heat isnt abnormal.

Also, what brand is that PSU? if its shoddy quality, it might not have enough power/providing crappy voltages....:(

5. arcanyme

arcanyme Private E-2

So, your heat isnt abnormal.

Also, what brand is that PSU? if its shoddy quality, it might not have enough power/providing crappy voltages....:([/QUOTE]

Thanks a bunch. That is a load off my mind. I thought i had screwed it up. I forget the manufacturer, but it's not a great one. I am going to be replacing it in the near future anyway. (hopefully).

Thanks to everyone for your responses.

6. Mistic

Mistic Private E-2

Just a bit to add. The Abit boards usually run high on the readout. I just RMA'd my Is7 because it wouldnt work with my video card (9700 Pro). I have a 2.53 533fsb Northwood and it was around 53 cel idle. I could feel the heatsink and it was barely warm.

So don't go worring about it to much. :)

7. ChrisC

ChrisC Private First Class

Abits traditionally rate the temp higher, yes. My roommate had a few mobos, switched the motherboard from an Asus to an Abit, temp read about 5-10 degrees higher. So, either one or both were wrong.

Still, 70C would not surprise me for a prescott P4 (P4E)

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Me neither.. I just built a P4 3.0 ghz Prescott this weekend and its idleing at 57c in a Coolermaster WaveMaster case with 4 fans + PSU fans.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds