Help please. I'm confused about Windows 7.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bigfurrykid, Jul 15, 2009.

1. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

I plan to purchase a new laptop in the next couple of days and wanted to be sure that I don't paint myself into a corner.

I understand that several laptop manufacturers are offering a free upgrade to Windows 7 with the purchase of a laptop running Vista Premium and above.

If I were to purchase a laptop with Vista basic, can it be upgraded to 7 or am I stuck?

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

It can, but not for free.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/167444/windows_7_upgrade_faq.html

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What make of PC are you buying? check with them if the model you are buying is part of the upgrade to Windows 7

DELL
    HP
    ACER
    Toshiba

etc just check the makers site for Windows 7 upgrade options BUT its rare for them to offer as JustPlayin has mentioned that many malers will do a deal on the Basic version, so would if you dont wish to miss out on using Windows 7, maybe look into a different laptop (funds permitting) that can run Vista Home Premium or better, which will give you the free option.

4. bigfurrykid

bigfurrykid Sergeant

Hi and thanks for the responses. I've decided to up the budget and get the Vista Premium.

I've spent the last 2 weeks looking online and tomorrow, I'm taking a paid day off from work and going shopping.

I'm going with this model: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9371477&productCategoryId=abcat0502003&type=product&id=1218093383615

This was not my 1st choice, but every time I found something that I liked online, it was not available in my area.
    Best Buy has these in stock and it will more than suit my needs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds