Help Please! Only green SB light comes on?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Thlorian, Oct 23, 2010.

1. Thlorian

Thlorian Private E-2

Hello,I did a system build. Asus MB M4A78T-E with AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition and Cooler Master GX 750 PSU. I followed the connections very carefully. When I boot up, all I get is the green SB light on the motherboard and absolutely nothing else! I am a bit frustrated right now! Any help would be greatly appreciated please. Thanks P.S. Nothing smells burnt whatsoever...whew! But I can't figure out what's wrong???

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, Thlorian.

Relax, and start over. Check every step as you go.
    Make sure that the motherboard is not grounding to the case.
    Connect only the power supply 24-pin connector to the motherboard, see if you get any indications at all.
    Make certain that the RAM is installed correctly.
    Then, add your discrete components one by one, verifying each step.
    If you're using a graphics card, try using onboard video as a troubleshooting procedure.

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi did you install the correct memory DDR3 ? following specs from asus site
    4 x DIMM, Max. 16 GB, DDR3 1600(O.C.)/1333/1066 ECC,Non-ECC,Un-buffered Memory

4. Thlorian

Thlorian Private E-2

Thanks for your help... :cool

By this statement, "Make sure that the motherboard is not grounding to the case", do you mean making sure that the little stand-off pegs are in place? My case has holes for nine pegs but most of the holes are in the center of a small mound that sits or protrudes up about .5 inches above the bottom of the case. I put the stand-offs in the holes that did not have these small mounds so that the mobo would be even. Now having said that, the FIRST time I put the board in, I placed these stand-offs incorrectly but did not notice that the mobo was slightly off. This is where the board may have gotten ruined? I did not smell any burnt smell though as others said I would?

IS THERE A WAY TO TELL IF EITHER THE CPU OR THE MOBO IS THE ITEM I NEED TO REPLACE? I WOULD HATE TO REPLACE ONE WHEN IT WAS THE OTHER THAT NEEDED REPLACING!

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
  5. Thlorian

Thlorian Private E-2

Thanks - here is the memory I have installed:

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 dual channel kit memory 4gb (2x2) PC3-10666 1333Mhz

Is it correct?

Thanks

6. Thlorian

Thlorian Private E-2

Here are the rest of the components I have on this:

Athlon Phenom II X4 965 Deneb 3.4Ghz Black Edition CPU AM3 Quad core 45nm
    Corsair XMS3 DDR3 dual channel kit memory 4gb (2x2) PC3-10666 1333Mhz
    Cooler Master GX 750 watt ATX PSU
    Cooler Master Armor A90 mid-tower case w/120mm and 200mm fans
    MSI Radeon HD5750 1 GB PCI Video Card
    1.5 TB Seagate Hard Drive
    Sound Blaster SE PCI Sound card
    Logitech speaker System

Thanks

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi again... do you feel competent to run a ''BENCH TEST'' if so go to the link below where there is an illustrated guide on how to. Just as a precaution and a safety tip DO NOT PLUG YOUR 3 PIN POWER LEAD into the the wall socket until you are double cetain you have completed all appropriate connections. The guide is a fault/component one but all we need is to test the motherboard so dismiss any other tests at the moment until motherboard test is completed. Also it will be wise to have your start up lead connected from the motherboard to your power button on the case so when assembled and ready you can flick the wall switch and press the power button on the case. There will be no need at this time to add your Roms CD/DVD, if you cant connect a monitor dont worry just power up and watch your activity light if it is going through the motions of booting.When completed switch off Power at wall socket. If in doubt about this BenchRun do not attempt. Second link is a guide on your standoffs

http://www.techsupportforum.com/hardware-support/building/171424-how-bench-test-your-system.html

http://biorobots.cwru.edu/server/howto/buildcomp/mountmobo/

Once again if you feel insecure do not attempt.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds