Help please!!! Operating System Not Found - Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by tinamarie161, Feb 1, 2011.

1. tinamarie161

tinamarie161 Private E-2

I have a Sony Viao with Windows Vista OS or at least up until 2 days ago it had this OS. I used my laptop Saturday afternoon to do homework online and tried to use it again on Monday only to get "Operating System Not Found" message when I turn the laptop on.

I reset the BIOS to have it boot to the hard disk thinking that was the problem, no luck and everytime I turn it on it makes a clicking noise that it didn't make before. I've tried pressing F8, F11, F12 and ESC to get it to go to safe mode but no luck.

I do not have a recovery disc and I can not remember if I ever received one with the computer. Any suggestions as to what has happened and how I can fix this? I am desperate right about now.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

It is sounding like your hard drive has failed ( due to the clicking sound you are hearing). You can try getting in touch with the manufacturer and requesting an installation disc. Replacing the hard drive should not be too difficult for you. You could check locally with some computer shops to see if they have any of the size that you had. Used ones can be relatively cheap. I had to do that to one of ours, the first hard drive didn't work, but the second on did and it is still chugging along. ;)

3. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hello,

Edit: Posted after TimW. I concur that you have a bad drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds