Help Please, video card is broken?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by TipGun808, Feb 25, 2009.

1. TipGun808

TipGun808 Private E-2

Hi, not sure whats wrong with my computer, but i will give you the details.

I was playing wow when all of a sudden my screen freezes and my mouse doesn't work. i restart my computer and i relog on wow. same thing happens. so i go and restart my computer and it just keeps restarting it self.
    I was finally able to get in by using safe mode. after awhile i found that by going to my device manager and disabling my nividia GeForce 8400 gs i can log in windows normally. so i log in normally and i updated my drivers by going to the nividia site and enable my video card again. i restart it and it continues to go into the endless restarting loop.

I have a strong suspicion that my video card is broken, but if you guys have any ideas please let me know.

My computer specs are right here.

Machine name: SOKINGS-PC
    Operating System: Windows Vistaâ„¢ Ultimate (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.080917-1612)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
    System Model: GG755AV-ABA m8100y
    BIOS: BIOS Date: 07/11/07 19:52:07 Ver: 08.00.14
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E6850 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
    Memory: 3326MB RAM
    Page File: 922MB used, 5969MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 6.00.6001.18000 32bit Unicode

Thank You.

2. xmeister

xmeister Private E-2

Did you uninstall the old driver/software first?
    Always a good idea to do that and I think Nvidia advise it.
    Do you know what driver version you had before?
    I had trouble with an older ATI card that I had to use an older driver on or it BSOD'd every 5 minutes. Maybe try an older driver version.

It sounds as though the card is still fine as it works until you install drivers so try this -

Unistall the Nvidia drivers.
    Might pay to uninstall/disable the card in device manager.
    Reboot.
    Windows will detect the card as new hardware.
    Install drivers again.

Repeat with a couple different driver versions if you have no luck.

3. TipGun808

TipGun808 Private E-2

hi, thanks for the reply.

Do you know a secure site where i can download different driver versions?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. xmeister

xmeister Private E-2

5. TipGun808

TipGun808 Private E-2

Hi, still no luck.

I did as you said and tried half a dozen versions from the site you linked. when i install the drivers it will ask me to restart then it will continue to restart it self over and over. until i disable my card then i can log into windows normally. im able to watch videos but it cant play any on my games.

Anyone have any other solutions? should i replace my card? if so should i get the same model or upgrade?

Thank you.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds