Help Please with Inspiron Pro/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection Code 10

Discussion in 'Software' started by chelle223, Feb 4, 2010.

1. chelle223

chelle223 Private E-2

I am a college student who knows nothing about computers. After discovering I had a virus, I took my laptop to my IT center on campus. To fix the problem, they reinstalled my OS. However, when I got my computer back, the wi-fi wouldn't work. After trying to install like 10 different drivers they told me my wireless card was bad. However, they had just done a diagnostics test and everything was working, not to mention that I hadn't had any problems with the card prior. I have a Pro/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection card and the error that keeps popping up is a code 10. Do you really think the card is dead? WHat should I do?

2. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

what operating system is it, and what is the make/model of the computer, or is the wireless card an addon or built in?

3. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!

Ditto what thesmokinggun said - the more info the better.

A few things to try:

The first thing I would try is finding and downloading the proper drivers for the card - you can start by looking here for the driver that matches your operating system:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...ntelĀ®+PRO/Wireless+2915ABG+Network+Connection

I am going to assume you are using some type of Windows product - if XP or above, go into add/remove programs and remove any driver listed there for your Pro/Wireless device. None may be listed. Now go into Device Manager, locate and delete the Pro/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection. Reboot the computer and let it "find" the "new" hardware. Install the drivers you downloaded earlier.

If you need help with any of this, let us know. It appears the driver file is an .exe package so it shouldn't be a problem.

Keep us posted! :)

4. chelle223

chelle223 Private E-2

It is a windows xp os. The computer is a dell D610 laptop with a built in wireless card. The people at my IT center told me that they have tried reinstalling the device and sometimes it will work, but then it freezes the computer. The IT people are only college students, so I don't really know if I should trust them. They told me that this means that the card is dead, but the diagnostics test of the system came back clean and I have never had any trouble with it before they re-installed the os. I asked them to re-format the computer, but they told me it would do no good. Should I try to? Do you think it would do any good? I do have the discs.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi chelle

What Service Pack is your Windows XP at? can find this from rigth clicking My Computer and choosing Properties or clicking Start > Run and typing winver and hitting enter.

In Device Manager what items have yellow ! marks by them?

Is this an Inspiron or Latitude Dell Laptop as I cannot find an Inspiron D610 at Dell? can find a Latitude D610 though and if its is just a typo then the drivers for the Latitude are below.

What you could try is to install the Chipset driver form Dell HERE and then reboot and install the WiFi driver HERE

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds