Help! Plugged mic into I/O - now can't backup due to "I/O device error"

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by papertrail, Sep 18, 2012.

1. papertrail

papertrail Private E-2

Hello. I plugged a mic into the I/O device on my computer and think I may have caused damage. Now when I try to backup to my external hard drive, I get a message saying "I/O Device Error" and the backup is incomplete. Now I have nothing backed up. I'm using Windows 7. Any help will be appreciated!

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Try running System Restore, using a restore point before the mic. was plugged in. If it is a driver or registry issue this may solve the problem (just don't plug the mic. back in until you've completed your backup).

Hope this helps. :)

3. papertrail

papertrail Private E-2

Thank you for your help. I will never plug the mic in again!! Unfortunately, there are no system restore points before the incident happened. However, I ran a diagnostics test on the hard drive and it repaired something--cannot remember the language. The computer seems to be working fine now, but I still can't backup to my external hard drive using Windows 7 software. The backup error code is: 0x81000037. I backed up my documents and pictures to a flash drive just in case something happens.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds