Help Question (cord stuck in port for cable modem (laptop)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rebecca J., Mar 19, 2011.

1. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

I need help in getting a stuck cord from the port that you connect the modem to when you do not want to be wireless. I thought it would be easy, however it is not.

My youngest son thought he would connect my laptop for me, well he stuck it in. Well I cannot get it out now, it wiggles and I can push it is a bit more, but trying to pull it will not. It is under warranty with Best Buy so I was thinking of using them so in case it breaks they would have to fix it.

Anyone that can help me? I really cannot afford a new laptop and I use it for school as well, thank you.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

The end of the cord should have a small release button to hold down as you pull it out.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It looks pretty much like a telephone cord. You push the little release button down as best you can and pull it out.

[​IMG]

4. TimW

Some do not have a release lever, but a small bump at the end which is the release mechanism.

5. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

There is not one of those on this cord.

There was other instructions on this by using a small plier like those used in jewelry stores. Not sure if I want to go that route unless I really have to.

I will never leave my laptop out again. My autistic son likes to be like a techie when it comes to things like this. Not good.:(

6. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

The picture above is what it kinda looks like (with the plastic coming out like it shows in the picture) but it is blue. Sucking up my pride to ask this since it is driving me crazy. How does a cord get stuck, it should easily come out, not on this computer.

7. TimW

There is no lever or covered release bump at the end of the cord? Perhaps it is the wrong cord for that port. Is there any type of release at the other end of the cord?

8. sach2

If you are not far from BestBuy they will probably do it in a couple of minutes for you without any wait period. Saves them the trouble of writing it up.

Edit: which model laptop? Did it come with the cord? Your son may have put it in upside down, although that should be difficult to do.

9. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

No it did not come with it. Someone told me to use pliers, how the heck I don't want to break the laptop, I don't mind about the cord though.

10. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

That is what I think has happened. And I am going to Best Buy next week it is about 45 minutes away. But most things are here. Anyway I will probably call them up about it as well. It is a HP Pavilion dv7-4065dx laptop.

11. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Rebecca,

Some of the connectors have a thin plastic shield over the release lever (lever shown in Sach's excelent photo). They can be a real pain to press far enough to remove. It has to go far enought to release the latch ( a hook on the lever). Squeeze real hard and see if it will come out. You might even use a pair of pliers to squeeze it but not hard enough to break anything. Hope this helps a little.

Good Luck, Jim

12. sach2

If you can wait until next week go ahead let them do it under warranty. Don't mess with it if you are uncomfortable.

This post gives some useful advice about looking at it under a bright light, moving it slightly and trying to determine whether it is catching at the top or the bottom. I still don't see alternative release mechanisms. This model has plastic over the plastic connector but still the same locking/release mechanism.

[​IMG]

13. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

I tried that it would not budge, I am going to go next week and have them do it for me. The person I talked to earlier on the phone if I broke something, it would be up to me to pay for it being fixed while if they break it they will have to repair it for free.

14. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Rebecca,

Sach's latest photo is exactly what I described. I have cut the plastic away from the lever on all of mine they are so difficult to remove.

Luck, Jim

15. Rebecca J.

Rebecca J. Private E-2

Those are similar, just blue. We got some small pliers, but we have an appt with "geek squad" (free)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds