Help recovering data from an unreadable CD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by abekl, Sep 21, 2005.

1. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I have a CD-R that has some important data, but the disk has somehow become completely unreadable (the CD is clean and unscratched).
    I've tried Windows based recovery tools, but they are all useless, because Windows itself wll not mount the CD.

Is there a DOS-based tool that will let me get directly at the hardware to try and read/recover whatever is actually there? I know it'll be raw sector data most likely, but that is better than nothing.

Thanks,

Abe

2. Natakel

Natakel Guest

http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?id=38

You might try some of the programs in the Data Recovery section of Major Geeks - there are a few that may help. One freeware program I saw there a while back (unstoppable copier) sounds like it might be what you are looking for. At least might be a place to start.

3. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

I tried it already. No joy there. The problem is that the disc needs to be mountable for the program to work. What I need is a tool that will talk directly to the hardware, bypassing the need for the disc to be mountable.

4. Anon-068c403e2d

Anon-068c403e2d Anonymized

5. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

This may possibly would be worth a try?!!

I have found on a quite a few times when I could not enable the computer to open up and read a CD containing backed up data.
    On these occasions I was able to view and "Extract" the files from these CD's with the “Free” program called “IosBuster”
    URL =

http://www.isobuster.com/

On Installing click the "Free" program button.[The Pro Version you have to pay for???].
    To use the “IosBuster” program = Open up a Session = Left Click on ''My Disc'' [blue]and open the folder = Right Click on required File and you have in the Dropdown Menu = “Extract XXX'' = this enables you to copy a File/Folder from the CD to a selected location on your computer

Hope may help?
    Regards

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds