help removing Malware

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mike85, Dec 7, 2004.

1. Mike85

Mike85 Private E-2

I ran ad-aware today and it found that i have like 3000 cases of win32.malwaredropper.checkin and i was wondering how in the world can i get rid of it. See over the weekend i wanted to upgrade my norton internet securities to the new 2005 version, so i deleted my old one so i can smoothly install the new one, but for some reason when i put the disk in, it would not load or anything, i mean it would ask me to install it, but that was about it. It would not install it. So right now im stuck with just zonelab as my firewall with no virus scan.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

3. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Steve is correct. Norton's is hard to remove entirely. Use his link. Norton AntiVirus is certainly part of SystemWorks. Can't comment on NIS as I don't use it.

Maybe try

AVG http://www.majorgeeks.com/ download886.html or
    Avast download http://www.majorgeeks.com/download1968.html

instead of Nortons, or at least until you sort out Nortons. Most here do not use Nortons. I prefer Avast, but that is my choice. Bazza

===

4. Mike85

Mike85 Private E-2

Thanks for the help in removing Norton. Well I got it completely off, but i still cannot install internet securities 2005. I put the disk in, it loads, and then it asks if i want to install it or browse through it. But if i click install, it just makes the noise like the disk is running and nothing happens.

5. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

With adaware picking up so much stuff, and Norton unable to install, I think your computer has serious issues. I recommend you go through the steps outlined in the spyware specific section here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

At a bare minimum, run Spybot & Adaware again, making sure you have the latest updates. Then run CCleaner (Crap Cleaner) to get rid of junk from the hard drive. Make sure to run it in the 'fixing issues in registry' mode as well...get rid of anything it finds (you are promted to make a registry back up if you wish). Run the registry checks several times, as it'll find new stuff as you weed out the crap.

Once you can run these three programs without picking anything up, you can try installing the Norton again. If it still won't go, follow the link above & do it step-by-step.

6. Mike85

Mike85 Private E-2

I have done that already. But still i dont understand why it doesnt work. And the results from the scans did not find anything. Would u like me to post my log, if thats any help???

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hey Mike,

How long are you giving it to install.....maybe wait a minute and see. You should get some type of error message or something.

Steve

8. Mike85

Mike85 Private E-2

I just tried that and the cd rom stops scanining the disk and nothing happens. I dont even get an error message.

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Click the browse through it option, see what happens.

Steve

10. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

You've done what already, exactly? You had only indicated using adaware, and not being able to get rid of the instances you found.

If you're sure your computer & registry are malware free, then the next step is to start looking at possible corrupted system files. Since I don't know which OS you're using, it's hard to give specific advice. I'll assume XP & recommend going to a command prompt & typing in 'sfc.exe /scanonce' . This is the system file checker & will analyze your critical system files upon rebooting, replacing any it finds corrupted. You will require your WinXP installation CD in order to do this.

Let us know how it goes, if you decide to try it.

11. Lance Bombardier

Lance Bombardier Private First Class

Mike85,
    Is the new Norton 2005 disc ok? You could try scanning it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds