Help removing unidentified program

Discussion in 'Software' started by joeybaby, Jul 12, 2011.

1. joeybaby

joeybaby Private E-2

I ran msconfig trying to clean up some programs that start when I boot and I noticed this program "Project1" by "HH." I have no idea what this is, is it dangerous and does it need to be removed? Any help is appreciated

Edit: Windows 7 if that helps

2. abekl

abekl First Sergeant

This is a Remote Administration Tool that is used by hackers to control the victim's machine remotely. The possibilities of such programs depend on the needs of the attacker. The attacker infects the PC via the e-mail or File and Print Sharing. A "server" allows him to connect via a "client" on his own machine. The functions of a RAT may vary, depending on the needs of the hacker. Some RATs can't really harm your PC and the only purpose they were made for is hooliganism. But some versions can steal vital information, delete files and even crash your system. This RAT changes port, on which NetBus runs. The author is a hacker called Cybernetic cowb0y. He wrote this pest in December 2002.

3. joeybaby

joeybaby Private E-2

I have disabled it on boot, but how do I make sure its gone for good?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

What PC make/model do you have?

What does the MSConfig entry for the program read, in full, please?

5. joeybaby

joeybaby Private E-2

Alienware m17x

Under Startup it says;

Startup Item: Project1
    Manufacturer: HH
    Command: "c:\Program Files\OSD\Launch.exe
    Location: HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\run

anything else needed?

6. satrow

I think it's the on screen display, what other files are in the OSD folder, any details available from them? Dates created, anything?

7. joeybaby

joeybaby Private E-2

File Date Modified
    dlltest.dll 17/02/2009
    launch.exe 12/05/2009
    launch_CC.exe 19/02/2009
    OSD_main.exe 13/05/2009
    Service1.exe 20/02/2009
    winring0.dll 26/07/2008
    winring0x64.dll 26/07/2008
    winring0x64.sys 25/07/2008

Edit: All created July-13-10

8. satrow

Ok, I'll stick with on screen display; any RAT from 2002 is pretty unlikely to have a 64-bit version that runs on W7.

Upload launch.exe to virustotal for checking and point us to the resulting link please.

9. joeybaby

joeybaby Private E-2

10. satrow

Well, for the latest scan on a file that's been uploaded for examination several times in almost 2 years, I'd say that it's likely to be clean.

11. joeybaby

joeybaby Private E-2

So the program on under msconfig is nothing to worry about? Im not sure if it matters but the location of it has it under (c:) not (C:) does it make a difference? Just want to be sure

12. satrow

I'm pretty sure all it does is show volume levels and similar, probably when you use non standard keys or Fn+ special keys.

13. joeybaby

joeybaby Private E-2

Okay great, you have been a huge help!

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds