Help Software or Hardware?

Discussion in 'Software' started by BCDesign, Aug 27, 2008.

1. BCDesign

BCDesign Private E-2

Please help!!!! I was having problems and found an error with a process from Nvidia so I reinstalled my video driver. Still having the problems tried other drivers and did what halo suggested in last post. Then ran malware checkers (adaware & windows defender) then ran one of the defrag programs from here. Now my screen starts flickering (like the old Nintendo did when the game was sideways) then it crashes. Sometimes it just will not boot to screen at all. I have had to go into safe mode and tried to reinstall drivers.

So is it a driver issue or video card / screen?

PS my screen keeps doing the pixel thing while I am typing this, almost like something is loose...

GATEWAY NX860XL Laptop
    Nvidia Geforce Go 7900GS
    2 Gb Ram 2.16Ghz Core 2
    XP SP3 100GB Seagate HD

2. BCDesign

BCDesign Private E-2

Re: Root Detectors?

Just an update got some weird character this morning during boot and had to boot three times. But it has worked all day OK, so far...

What root detector should I run to see if I have something berried deep?

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

It's my guess that the laptop is either over heating, your memory is faulty (or possibly loose), or the video chip (or video memory if it has dedicated memory) is faulty and/or overheating. Generally speaking, artifacting is not caused by software problems or drivers. Usually artifacting is only caused by a hardware issue. Unfortunately, such hardware issues are usually fairly serious. Run something that will stress you video a bit like a benchmark program from the Major Geeks Benchmark section. 3dMark'03 should be good for a laptop stress test. Be sure to check the system temps right before running it, and immediately after running it. 3dMark'03 doesn't seem to agree with most monitoring apps running in the background whilst benchmarking, so you have close the monitoring app before launching the benchmark. You should also run a full extended RAM diagnostic. I like the Microsoft Windows Memory Diagnostic. The download creates a bootable floppy, or an ISO image file (in My Documents) that will create a bootable CD when burned. You'd boot to it and press 'T' for the extended tests. Then run at least 3-4 passes. It might look like it has locked up (esp. test 7) but it hasn't; be patient. So, try all these things and let us know how it goes. You might also consider completely removing the nVidia drivers and then reloading the same driver you are currently using. I think there's an nVidia uninstaller here at MG in the Drivers or Driver Tools section.....

[dlb]

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  5. BCDesign

BCDesign Private E-2

Thank you, I am going try to see what I can do with it...

Do you recommend one monitoring software over the other? I have a simple one but only does the temp of the processor, is their one that will watch the RAM or Video as well?

6. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Attached Files:

7. BCDesign

BCDesign Private E-2

Looks like it is running at 66C not at the top but by no means at the bottom...

I am running the RAM test now and then going to uninstall the nvidia stuff next...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds