HELP!!! Toshiba keyboard and mouse pad not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by duprst, Jul 21, 2011.

1. duprst

duprst Private E-2

Ok I'm having a hell of a time with my toshiba L505d-S6952. For some reason when ever I startup my computer no matter if I go in to the BIOS or try to go to windows my keyboard and mouse freeze after about 2 secs. I cant do anything but do a hard shut down and restart but still will freeze. One time I was able to get the computer up and running to the windows vista desktop and my mouse and keyboard were working. So I know it is not them that is bad. I am thinking that it is a BIO issue since even if I take my hard drive out and start up the computer all I am able to do is hit F2 and if Im fast enough F9 but I can not hit yes to load default before my keyboard is non responsive. I have updated my BIOS to 1.50 and get the BSOD stating "The Bios in this system is not fully ACPI compliant."

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Hi and welcome to MG's,
    I don't believe that this was a bios issue in the first place, i think it is/was one of your start up programs that was causing this issue, what you needed to do was to disable all of your start up programs ( check link on how to do this) and re-enable them one by one restarting your machine each time untill you find the problematic start up program that is causing the lock up. I would advise rolling back the bios flash that you did to the version it was at before, then try the startup fix !! ;)

iain.t :major

3. duprst

duprst Private E-2

Ok so here is what i have found out so far. I cleared the cmos battery and pulled the ram chips out. My computer comes standard with 2X 2Gb 800MHz chips. pulled them both and put in 2X 1 Gb chips. The computer powers up and everything works fine. So I dont understand what has happened. The 4 Gbs that I pulled came with the computer when i bought it. I am currently running Memtest-86 v4.0 to see what if anything is wrong with the chips. The BIOS sees 4Gb of ram but does not function with it in there now. I have also pulled each of the 2Gbs one by one with no change.

4. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

This is most bizare. Does the whole system become unresponsive and halt or does it continue to boot with no mouse and keyboard?

I suspect that the whole system is locking which could be caused by the bad RAM (or a bad RAM sockt on the MB) which is creating the illusion that it is only the mouse and keyboard that has frozen. Memtest is your best bet. Let it run 2 or 3 passes over night and see how you go.

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Let it run 6 - 8 hour at least , like as Tuer said all night long !! :cool

6. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

I believe that was Lionel Ritchie!:-D

7. duprst

duprst Private E-2

sorry for the untimely respones. I thought i had the computer fixed. It was working great for about a week or so then one day i fired it up and went right back to the same problem. And yes the whole system becomes unresponsive. I have to do a hard shut down to power it down. Any clues?

8. Tueur

Tueur Sergeant Major

at the minute i would say either memory or hard disk. can you post your hd make and model.

9. duprst

duprst Private E-2

I ran memtest all night and it found no problems. I have also taken the HD out and tried starting the computer just to get to the bios. I can hit F2 and get in to the bios but then the keyboard and mouse become unresponsive. It does the samething if I just let it run normal to startup. The HD I have is a Toshiba MK4055GSX 400 GB.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds