Help, trying to reinstall XP and in formatting it stalls

Discussion in 'Software' started by muz, Sep 7, 2007.

1. muz

muz Private E-2

what can I do? I'm using the windows disk. Should I try to check the HD?

Thanks

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

You can't go wrong doing that. Get your HD makers utility and check it that way, you can put it back to 'factory condition' this way and you'll know right away if it needs replacement. Another thing I found with bad XP installs is bad RAM which you can check with memtest86+ available on the front page here. Oh, make sure your cables are well seated, especially if it's SATA as I've had that issue too.

3. muz

muz Private E-2

thanks,

I have a HALF HEIGHT, 5.4K, 40G/P, MAXTOR ATHENA hard dirve, is there a utitlity I can downlaod and use as a cd?

Thanks

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

5. muz

muz Private E-2

thanks, I was there when I found out it was now Seagate.

I have downloaded the seatoolsdos.iso and put in the cd drawer and restart and it goes directly to the C drive. I have checked BIOS and it has CD first to start. I also have downloaded and tried the mem86+ test and it delayed before starting and then went to C:

Thanks

6. muz

muz Private E-2

thanks, I was there when I found out it was now Seagate.

I have downloaded the seatoolsdos.iso and put in the cd drawer and restart and it goes directly to the C drive. I have checked BIOS and it has CD first to start. I also have downloaded and tried the mem86+ test and it delayed before starting and then went to C:

Thanks

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

One question, did you burn your CD's as an .iso? This is very important as they won't boot if it's not burnt in an iso format.

8. muz

muz Private E-2

thanks for your help. The HD was bad. I put in a new one.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds