Help! Undo synchronization of desktop icons

Discussion in 'Software' started by NAS, Dec 7, 2006.

1. NAS

NAS Private E-2

I'm running XP Pro SP 2 on a Dell Dimension 4700, which I just reformatted and have had lots of problems with updates, etc, but for this question:

I had tried to download icons from a website to my desktop, but it didn't work, so I thought I'd copy the icons and paste them to the desktop, and try to connect them to the webpage myself. Big mistake.

Apparently, that set off a synchronization process, which spread to every icon on the desktop, not just the ones I wanted to copy (which, incidentally, did not paste to the desktop). Now, each name under every icon is set against a dark blue rectangle. I want to undo this, but not with a system restore, because the restore point that's available will undo a problem that took 2 days to solve with tech support.

I can't find the right documentation about this. Of course, every icon was connected to its respective program or web page, but I want to undo whatever it was that caused the blue boxes to attach themselves.

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Open System Properties in Control Panel, choose the Advanced tab, and click Settings in the Performance section. Turn on the Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop option, and click Ok.

Steve

3. NAS

NAS Private E-2

Thanks, Steve, I did that, but there is no change.
    Any other ideas?

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Check under Display Properties > Desktop and make sure that "Lock desktop items" is not checked.

Steve

5. NAS

NAS Private E-2

Thanks, Steve, I just looked at that, and "Lock desktop items" is not checked.

I was going to go back and look around in System Properties again, but
    it will not open today, either by double clicking the icon or by right-clicking and choosing "open." ???
    Yesterday, the "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" option, was already turned on.

Nancy

6. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Right click on Desktop >> Properties >> Desktop >> Customize Desktop >> Web tab

Delete offending items in "Web Pages"

7. NAS

NAS Private E-2

Thank you so much -- it worked !:)

8. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Pas de quoi

Glad it worked for ya'. :)

9. wrtrgal5

wrtrgal5 Private E-2

thank you SO MUCH! I wanted to put an icon on the desktop and accidentally hit synch - and your advice worked!

10. wrtrgal5

wrtrgal5 Private E-2

thanks! this helped, and the desktop is back to normal. however how do I delete Home Page? the box is unchecked, however when I check the box the Delete box is still inactive.

11. Kniht

Kniht Sergeant

Did you click on the item in 'Web Pages' to highlight it then click on the delete button?

12. wrtrgal5

wrtrgal5 Private E-2

yes however even when I did that I was unable to click Delete because the Delete button did not get highlighted so I could click it.

maybe this is standard option with IE6?

13. vilynne46

vilynne46 Private E-2

how did you undo sync on your destop icons I did the same thing and all my icons are highlighted in blue under them in a rectangle box?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds