HELP! uninstalled sprint smartview now NO internet using ANY form

Discussion in 'Software' started by surflanai, Dec 25, 2010.

1. surflanai

surflanai Private E-2

Hello,

I have not used a forum before so please bare with me. I am in great need of help.

In Brief: Uninstalled Sprint and Sprint SmartView: Now I get an error message when I shut down the computer and I cannot get on the internet using Any form including a direct internet connection.

I previously used to have Sprint/Sprint Smartview installed on my Windows Vista (Toshiba) Computer to use with my usb modem. I recently switched to a different company.

I plugged the wired modem to my computer and it worked great! I then thought to uninstall my Sprint Program since I no longer needed it. After I did this, I decided to use the internet again and plugged the modem back in. The message came up "limited Connectivity" and I could not access the internet.

I have tried everything I know. Repairs, Registry Mechanic, all prompts given to diagnose the problem, etc. I have tried several different internet options from wireless through my phone (which used to work), wireless from the neighborhood (which used to work), wireless from my in-laws (which used to work) and direct connect to the modem (which used to work). All the same message. The closet I have come is just now, I have a message that says "connected" but it will not connect to the internet and the same troubleshoot messages come up.

I still get an error message when I shut down but I cannot read what it says because it goes away before I can read it. All was fine until I uninstalled Sprint Smart View. (Uninstalled from the Uninstall programs page on the computer, I do know how to do that incase you were already going to ask that).

Thank you very much in advance to anyone who is willing to help. I am at a loss and don't need any more headaches in my life right now (who does, right). Thank you
    Aloha

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you tried a hard reset of the modem?
    Unplug the power connection to the modem for about 1 minute.
    Plug back in and wait for all lights to burn steady.
    Power up your PC and try.

3. surflanai

surflanai Private E-2

thank you for your reply.

Yes I have reset the modem several times and powered down the computer as well. I have done all that would be the "norm" for figuring it out. It has nothing to do with the modem. I am 99% sure it is my computer. I cannot get internet now since I uninstalled Sprint (this seems to be when the problem started so that is why I am using it as a baseline).

It doesn't matter what type of internet service provider or device I use, my computer always says "limited access". It recognizes there is a device but won't connect to the internet.

I have tried the auto reset the ip address, etc.

Thank you

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

I'm just thinking that the whole Sprint SmartView app is not fully uninstalled, hence the lack of internet as a conflict will likely be in the network settings or devices,

Just incase this route works out of the box, download and install Windows Installer Cleanup Tool HERE and once run look for anything Sprint or SmartView and uninstall it.

Please see if running through this guide HERE helps.

5. surflanai

surflanai Private E-2

Thank you, I was thinking that too. It wouldn't let me uninstall in safe mode so I will probably download this now that I have partially gotten my computer to work in order to get internet so I can download this. I had to restore my computer back a week to the previous settings (sprint back and two updates undone) and that allowed me to get internet access.

Thank you, I will let you know if that works.

6. bitflung

bitflung Private E-2

so... did it work (3.5 years ago)??
    i've got the same issue today. can't uninstall this crappy software without breaking my win7 networking.

1. clean boot
    2. uninstall Sprint SmartView version 2.25.0046.0 (previously installed Feb 2012, over 2 years ago)
    3. uninstall asks me to reboot, answer YES
    4. machine reboots
    5. log in to windows and observe that networking fails:
    - i get an IP address
    - i can ping my own ip address
    - attempts to ping URLs (e.g. google.com) resolve to IP addresses but timeout
    - all connections timeout; this includes all browser sessions, apps, etc which try to talk to the net
    6. system restore to just before uninstall: networking works perfectly again

I'd love to get rid of this broken crapware; i'm wondering if the only option is to send my laptop to our IT department and have them push a clean system image onto it... really don't want to do that unless i have to though.

as someone who used to fix this stuff for a living, i'm finding everything post-windows2000 to be rather frustrating. i could fix this sort of issue on win98 in 30 seconds with my eyes closed, but on win7? none of my past experience applies at all anymore. extremely frustrating to find myself feeling as impotent as my old clients must have felt "back in the day".

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds