HELP! Unusual PC problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by perky441, Aug 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perky441

perky441 Private E-2

Hi all

Bit of an unusual one this, when I boot up my Acer desktop it'll log into Windows 7 no prob, but after about 2 minutes the screen will freeze or go black. Power button still shows on, keyboard and mouse do not work (cant toggle Num Lock key) and Power Saver/Screen Saver is OFF. So switch off power using PC power button and keyboard Num Lock light stays on! When power is switched on system will not boot.

So leave the mains power off for 1 minute, switch back on and if lucky PC will either boot up and same problem, or boot up and then restart itself or boot up and work. If the latter its fine and does everything!

Have done chkdisk, system restore wont work (says no restore points even though I have been creating them) and done memory diagnostics - anything else I can do?

May be related but I cannot reinstall AVG due to MSI problem????

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

They'll need a bit more information such as model of Acer desktop, version of Windows 7 and Service Pack.

You mention AVG. Did you use the AVG removal tool instead of Add/Remove Programs? And, what do you mean by "MSI problem"?

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Does it freeze if you boot into Safe Mode?

With the numlock light and other symptoms, I would swap in a known good power supply to make sure you have good power before trying anything else.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If you still have the same problems booting into Safe Mode, try a bootable Linux or Windows Install disc. Let the disc load (but don't start any installs) and leave the PC on for several minutes.

If it stays on, it could be that Windows has become corrupted. In this case, backup your files and try running the Acer Factory Restore. Note that this will erase all programs and files, so be sure you have your license codes and discs available for reinstallation of software such as Microsoft Office.

Hope this helps.

5. ngghjo

ngghjo Private E-2

The fact that the computer restarts itself may indicate a restart on a BSOD .
    Disable automatic rebooting on bsod by rightclicking My computer>>Properties>>System protection>>Advanced>>start up and recovery>>system failure and then uncheck boot on failure.

Also you mention that you have to turn the power off for the computer to boot again.Can you clarify what happens if you try to boot it on without turning the power off , ie nothing , beepcode , no display etc?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds