Help upgrading Front Ports USB and Sound

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Aug 29, 2005.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Ok, I know it is not the fastest here, but here is what I have....

Dell Dimension 4100 with 815E Intel chipset Bios is upgraded to A011. P3 933 chip. 20 Gig WD drive with 5 gig free space running XPSP2 512 MB 133 SDRAM. Unknown burner 8x. Creative Live SB.

I wanted to add this to bring USB and sound ports to front. 9-in-1 USB 2.0 Card Reader/Adapter

I see the same reader for sale on the Geeks Greenlight sale for $4.99, so I order it. I clear off part of the kitchen table and set the task of adding the bay. I soon discover that the USB is under the fan, and it is not the same as the connectors on this card. Soyo website tells the connectors are for a P4 board

The card pops out of the unit and alone was worth the $5, but would be nice to configure the 2.0 usb and all. I can add a PCI USB 2.0 card, and a drive (160 Gig is $39 with rebates), Lightscribe DVD would be about all that would be stepped up before it is time to buy a whole new box.

Can I get connectors from USB2.0 to connect to the 9-in-1 card, or do I have to simply live with the connections in the rear of the case forever? I know sound is a far stretch, if I can only get USB to work, then I can use the all in one and have working 2.0 ports.

Thanks for any ideas.

:confused:

2. BoredOutOfMyMind

Bump

Anyone? Can the upgrades be done, or do I need to only use USB2.0 from back of new PCI card?!? :confused:

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

You are better off buying a third party USB 2.0 PCI card. I seriously doubt you will be able to upgrade the on-board USB to 2.0.

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

I am all that and after reading the Dell help forums, I need a NEC driven card not VIA. Also, I am wondering if there is a card with connections that I could run from PCI card to the 9-in-1 card.... I have not seen anything but USB A for output.... I like the 9in1 to sit on the desk, and am about determined to drop a 4 way 2.0 card in so I have printer, keyboard, 2 extra ports on back side and skip mounting in a empty bay....

Thanks for the reply Shadow_Puter_Dude

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

6. BoredOutOfMyMind

This Card by Diablo is exactly what I have been looking for. I don't need firewire, but this card has the pins to connect the reader.

There was also a reader/front port card for $29.99 and I still like this card reader out of the bay that I have.

Thanks for the help, I had over looked Tiger.

7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

You're welcome. That's a nice card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds