Help using DG834 Netgear as a hub

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JulesM, Apr 21, 2012.

1. JulesM

JulesM Private E-2

Hi all,

I have 2 PCs (in different rooms, about 15 feet apart) on a network using Ethernet homeplugs and a DG834 Netgear router. Over recent months the internet connection has been dropping, sometimes several times a day. After multiple calls to the ISP we are now trying to eliminate the router as being the issue - we think it's a BT problem but we need to cover all bases first to avoid an unnecessary expensive call out. The ISP have sent a test router for us to check the connection over a period of days. Problem is it only has one port (it's Speedtouch ST-510) hence only the PC connected to it can get online but that's no good as both PCs need access to the net.

If I set up the Speedtouch for the net access, is there a way to set up the Netgear as a kind of hub to keep the network working? :confused Just to clarify in case anyone suggests it, wireless can't work here as we have 6 inch thick concrete walls between some rooms which has prevented it when we've tried previously.

Thanks for reading.
    JulesM

2. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You may be able to use the Netgear as a hub, actually a switch, by disabling the DHCP server in it and connect the Ethernet cable from the new Modem to one of the LAN ports on the Router. The remaining 3 ports should be able to connect the the other devices. You may need to use a crossover Ethernet cable but most equipment today auto detects.

NOTE: The DG834 is a ADSL Modem and a Router so the above may not work. I've never tried it with a Modem/Router combo. It won't harm anything, it just may not work.

3. JulesM

JulesM Private E-2

Thanks shnerdly - I'll try that. I have connected them up before with no success but I hadn't disabled the DHCP server in the netgear.

What is a crossover Ethernet cable?

Really appreciate your help, thanks
    JulesM

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

There will be not problem using the DG834 as a switch.

You can just use a normal patch cable (I am not sure if they make crossover cables any more as there is no real requirements any more with auto detect ports).

I use the DG834G as a wap (wireless access point) and switch and have no issues (I have also set a couple up with the same config at friends with no issues).

Any modem/router/wireless device can be used as a switch. As has been stated just make sure that you disable DHCP in the interface. Would also be better if you gave the DG834 a fixed LAN IP address too.

Good Luck

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds