Help w/ outpost firewall

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grimmer, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

I'm using outpost pro and I'm having problems with it blocking Java, I know it's the firewall because when I turn outpost off and switch to windows firewall it works fine. I've tried to set java as a trusted application but it still doesn't work.
    Any suggestions?

Grimmer

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Check the Ad Blocking and Active Contents Filter features of your Outpost Firewall.

Steve

3. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

I tried signing into yahoo games then looked at the active content/ads log files and it showed that nothing was being blocked under active content but under ads there were 2 images that were blocked, so I chaned the filter to allow them for that site and tried logging in again and got the same outcome, it tried to load the Java applet then it showed a red x at the top left corner of the window.

Grimmer

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Can you disable the Ad Blocking feature and try it?

Steve

5. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Just tried that still not working.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Right click on the "?" mark by the clock, go to the Policy Menu and a click on "Allow Most", see if that helps.

It has to be a setting somewhere.

Steve

7. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

I did what u said and still doesn't work, but I just looked under the blocked log and received this:
    8:15:36 PM svchost.exe OUT REFUSED UDP 192.168.0.1 DNS Blocked by DNS Cache

8. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

I also just tried to diable dns cacheing but it still doesn't work.
    I'm running out of Ideas here.

9. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

See if this helps, http://www.outpostfirewall.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9858 Look under section E-2, it gives the info below.

Svchost.exe (Windows XP systems only)
    Svchost.exe is an awkward case - it requires some Internet access in order to carry out basic networking tasks, but giving it full access will leave systems vulnerable to RPC exploits like the Blaster and Welchia/Nachi worms. Creating an appropriate ruleset for this application is therefore of critical importance.

Allow DNS (UDP): Protocol UDP, Remote Port 53, Remote Address <your ISP's DNS servers>, Allow
    Allow DNS (TCP): Protocol TCP, Outgoing, Remote Port 53, Remote Address <your ISP's DNS servers>, Allow
    Possible Trojan DNS (UDP): Protocol UDP, Remote Port 53, Deny/Block & Report
    Possible Trojan DNS (TCP): Protocol TCP, Outgoing, Remote Port 53, Deny/Block & Report
    DNS rules - see section D1 for more details. They are only needed here if the DNS Client Service is not disabled, since in this case, svchost.exe will then do the lookups;
    As only one TCP rule is needed here, it is set to Allow;
    Since there are trojan applications that attempt to disguise their traffic as DNS, it is recommended that any attempted access to servers other than your ISP's be treated as suspicious - the Trojan DNS rules will therefore report on such access. If the access is legitimate (if your ISP has changed DNS server addresses and the Allow rules need updating for instance) then having this reported is preferable to losing network connectivity and having to check the Blocked logs to find out why.

Steve

10. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Hey,
    Found an easier solution, I went into the plugins and started playing around by disabling them and found that it was the content filter that was causing the problems, which is weird cause if you look at the log it says nothing has been blocked.Anyway it works,but do I really need this content plugin? Will I be more suceptible to attacks now that I turned it off?

Grimmer

11. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

BTW that information you gave me was very helpful,I'll look further into that later. Thanx

Grimmer

12. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Damn, guess i was wrong about the content filter, I just logged onto yahoo again and now it's not working again. So I tried to turn off all the plugins to see what it would do, and stiil nothing. Weird though,when I turned off that content filter it seemed to worked there for a minute, but when I logged off and logged back in it stopped working again. I'll keep trying new things and keep you posted, I'll also look into the svchost issue and see what that does.If you have any other Ideas let me know.
    Thanx.

Grimmer

13. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. Plugins are discussed in section G of the link I gave you. I scanned thru the info briefly and you should be able to figure out the settings from there.

Good luck. You may get other responses and suggestions to try also. :)

Steve

14. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

Nah forget it I'm just going to uninstall outpost and put zone alarm back on, this isn't the first time I've had a problem with outpost. Anyway thanx for the input it is appreciated.

Grimmer

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Hold it, hold it. Are you sure you got a good uninstall of ZA. There are reported problems addressing that, could be something like that causing the problem. See the link below and try Shadows advice, if you want to try it.

It's up to you my friend. http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76215&highlight=uninstall+zonealarm

Steve

16. Grimmer

Grimmer Corporal

No I don't think thats the case, because after reinstalling zone alarm the java applets work fine. So it must have been outpost. Outpost is a very nice firewall but it does have some set backs. I had it installed on my other pc and I kept getting crashes where my pc would completley turn off, then I uninstalled outpost and everything went back to normal. I think I'll just stick to zone alarm, It has an easy to use interface and is a good all around firewall.

Grimmer

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Good deal.

Steve

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds