help! what is this? motherboard part

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by glasshalffull5, Apr 7, 2010.

1. glasshalffull5

glasshalffull5 Private E-2

trying to figure out what this tiny piece is called and if i need to replace it. Once i know what it is i can then talk to a local repairman and see what needs to be done.

This is a new motherboard i just replaced. I was attempting to test the laptop screen to see if it was working and when i plugged in the battery, 1 of the 2 "circuits" in the PL2 section sparked. (see pic)

Because all of the cables are attached to the top cover of the laptop, i had to lay the cover on the board when trying to power it up.

It's possible that the spark was coming from an area where the cover was touching the PL2 section, might have been metal, i'm not sure as when i saw the spark i quickly moved the cover and unplugged the battery.

what is this transistor for? Can it be replaced? Do i need to replace it? How can i test it?

thanks for any help

Attached Files:

2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

In my opinion, that looks like surface-mount resistor. Usually unrepairable except by a machine. Your best bet is to replace the entire board. Sorry.

3. glasshalffull5

i googled surface-mount resistor and you look to be correct. I hope that maybe it didn't get fried and/or that it still partially works (if that's possible) or the other resistor in that group will handle the load (again...if that's possible)

I'll know very soon as i have the laptop nearly put back together and will try to power it up.

i'll respond when i have further info

4. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Glass,

I have replaced several surface mount resistors. Technique is to hold the resistor in place using a small screwdriver or similar and reflow solder (ising preapplied solder)both ends. That's the easy part. You will have to identify the value of theII resistor and find a replacement. I was able to find a replacement on old obselete boards. I was just in FRY's NW of Chicago and they had them in stock with chips and things.

Good Luck, Jim

5. glasshalffull5

Hey Jim,

I got a quick quote from a guy on craigslist telling me he charged $85/hr for repair and the resistor would cost $39. I can handle soldering and i assume that it won't cost $37 for the part so I'm gonna tackle it if i can find the right replacement.

i have the old board which has this same resistor on it, but i can't tell if it is damaged or not. The reason i say that is i see some remnants near the resistor on the board that look like it might have gotten hot.

when trying to identify this item, i assume the numbers on the board next to it are the identifiers? there are no markings on the resistor as it's too small. there are 2 in resistors in the group circled by a rectangular white box on the board. "PL2" is written on the right side of this group and is running up the right side of it. "PL3" is written underneath the group.

how do i verify what resistor i need? does radio shak carry this type of stuff as we don't have Fry's in St. Louis, Mo.?

thanks for the advice

6. glasshalffull5

here is a picture of the good resistor on the old mobo, it's identical to the resistor on the new mobo that sparked and is burnt.

here are the markings around the resistor, nothing written on the resistor itself.

any ideas on the identification of this resistor?

edit: after searching, it looks like that is called a surface mount power inductor

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  7. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Glass,

No way would the resistor cost $37.00 unless he's buying an assortment and has to charge you for the whole bunch. My 83 yr old eye wont let me see the markings on the parts. I tried it with a phono pickup stylus microscope and can see that there are numbers on them but can not decipher them. Google for info on the resistors and you may find some help. The numbers on the board are keyed to the schematic of the board. Google for the schematic you may just find it. Rxx would be a resistor, Cxx would be a capacitor etc. I was in a Radio Shack a week ago looking all over for something else and did not see surface mounts. Doesn't mean that they don't have it. Check their internet catalog and/or call a store. You should have a Fry's nearby maybe. Worth a trip just to see what they have.

Good Luck, Jim

8. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi again Glass,

Finally got my one good eye going and was able to read some of the numbers on the resistors. As I expected it is very similar to the standard resistor code but using the numbers instead of the colors. Makes it easy. 222 would equal 2200 ohms, 303 would equal 30,000 ohms. First two digits are the actual numbers and the third one is the multiplyer (number of zeros).

Good Luck, Jim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds