HELP! Who is ATA Tech Support LLC, Newark, DE

Discussion in 'Software' started by Transmission55, Mar 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Transmission55

Transmission55 Private E-2

Is this an actual company?

I have googled the name of the company and nothing matches by name or address ...

Yesterday, I was charged $899.95 to remove two trojans on my computer and 2 laptops ...

The computers are running the same ...

Could this possibly be a scam?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

It's an LLC that was started 4 months ago: http://www.bizapedia.com/de/ATA-TECH-SUPPORT-LLC.html

What do you mean you were charged $899.95? You received a bill, or you have a charge on your credit card?

It can most definitely be a scam...and judging by the fact that you are asking, I'd say it is a scam. If you actually received a charge on a credit card, then at some point your card number was hacked which can be done in a number of ways. If you were sent a bill and never asked anyone for help, I'd ignore it and not respond to them, but to the Better Business Bureau reporting them. If you were actually charged on your card, you should immediately call your credit card company and report the fraudulent charge...and have it canceled and a new card sent out.

3. LauraR

Oh, and welcome to Major Geeks. :)

4. Transmission55

Thanks for the welcome!

The major problem is that I'm the ultimate novice with computers & technology in general ...

When ATA Tech Support completed work on my computers they were still connected and asked that I make a direct payment and receive. When I opened my account they took over the controls.

They have an account with my bank so they payment was made immediately.

What I came to find out by accident is the other free PC cleaners I installed ran automatically this morning, the reports all indicated that my computer still had over 2000 threats.

The anti-virus & spyware ATA Tech Support LLC installed were all free programs I could have downloaded myself.

5. LauraR

Okay, so you yourself asked for their assistance and gave them direct access to your computer to do so.

Unfortunately, I think that, yes, you have been scammed...and stolen from. Have you contacted your bank? That is the absolute first thing you should do, along with changing your password for your account. See what your bank can do for you as far as reversing the transaction.

This is just one of a number of scams out there. Just for future reference, unless you yourself are calling a company you fully trust, such as your internet service provider support or your PC manufacturer support, you should absolutely never give direct access of your computer to anyone.

I'm not sure if you have seen our malware removal forum yet, but it is completely free and if you run the removal steps and post your logs, the experts in there can help you clean your computers yourself. $899 to clean even 3 computers is absolutely never something you should be willing to pay...even to a well known PC repair place.

How did you come by allowing this 'company' to help you clean your computers?

I would also highly recommend that you report this company to the Better business bureau so that it's out there for others to see as well.

I'm very sorry that you have experienced this type of thing.

6. Transmission55

I started here on Majorgeek, chose REimage. REimage sent a receipt & license key to my Hotmail account. Hotmail would not open - from there I do not recall exactly how I got connected to ATA Tech Support LLC.

I have contacted my bank ...

An investigation is underway, fortunately, we both bank at Wells Fargo ...

Minutes ago, I spotted the TightVNC service configuration icon ATA placed on my computer & immediately disabled it ...

This service allowed them to gain access & control my computer ...

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  7. LauraR

The TightVNC would have been installed to allow the remote access.

I would really think about going through our Malware Removal steps since you have no idea what they may have installed on your computer: READ & RUN ME FIRST Malware Removal Guide (incl. spyware, virus, trojan, hijacker)

I hope your bank can do something for you.

Btw, if you were not able to access reImage, it looks like they do have a refund policy. Honestly, I wouldn't use a program like that. There are so many free options online that are out there even for novice computer users, such as our Malware removal guide.

8. BearPup

BearPup Private E-2

Besides contacting the bank, get in touch with your State's Attorney Generals Office (I'm assuming you live in the USA); otherwise contact the Consumer Assistance Office in whatever country you live in. Look in the phone book under your state or national government (or both).

What you are wanting to do is to file a "formal complaint" against the company. And while it is still fresh, write down in a semi-narrative form, exactly what happened, who said what to whom, what permissions you gave or didn't give, etc.; write down as much detail as you can remember. Make sure you keep all documents, and take screenshots of their stuff on your machine.

Unless its a totally local event, jurisdictional boundaries have been crossed (state lines, national boundaries, etc.). That elevates it to the national or international level, which allows 'larger' law enforcement agencies to get involved; they'll have more clout than 'just' a bank will.

The bank can try to recover your money, while law enforcement will allow for criminal clout (charges) to come into play. That usually gets peoples' attention! They can also go to bat for you about such legal niceties like informed consent, contractual obligations, etc. .

I'm not a lawyer, but a retired civil rights advocate, so I have some experience in this. Worse case scenario is that you file suit in small claims court, which you don't need a lawyer to do. If its a scam (and it sounds like one), that is the last thing they'll want to deal with.

As hard as it may be, try not to panic. Let us know how you make out.

9. LauraR

Ugh...I meant State's Attorney Generals Office, not Better Business Bureau. Thank you BearPup for your post.

10. John_Smith

John_Smith Guest

Re: I'm a bogus person and this post is bs

Hi this is John from California, even I called them for a Hotmail support they are really nice and friendly and yes they fixed my computer and its working fine.

Good thing is they don't use credit card to charge for the support.

One minor problem was slightly difficult to understand the technicians on the phone......!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2013
  11. BearPup

BearPup Private E-2

John,
    You're saying you did business with this company and it wasn't a scam? Some questions if you don't mind, because what Transmission55 was telling us sure made it sound like a scam!

1) The company was called ATA Tech Support and they were from Newark, Delaware?
    2) If you didn't use a credit card, how did you pay for this service?
    3) Did they try and put anything on your computer and/or how did they fix your computer?
    4) Did you contact them or did they contact you?
    5) How did they find you or you find them?

Certainly, if this is a scam we want to try and end it; and if its not a scam, Transmission55 needs to know. Your responses will help us do this.

Thanks in advance for your help in this situation!
    BearPup

12. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

After reading this...wow.

Sorry it happened to you, but it illustrates why remote assistance of any kind of dangerous.

13. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

Very suspicious for a 1st-time poster. Can a moderator check this poster's IP address? I seriously doubt that this was posted in California...

14. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Funny that your IP address originates from India...

If you lied about that, you lied about the rest.

15. BearPup

BearPup Private E-2

Sigh. Why do people pull this kind of BS? We're just trying to help out people here. What's the point? Double Sigh!

16. LauraR

I would say its someone from the scam company.

I'm going to lock this thread so we don't get more of that.

Thanks all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds