help!! win xp blue scrn unmountable boot vol

Discussion in 'Software' started by yodel99, Jul 20, 2010.

1. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

my dell D800 laptop running winxp sp3 is blue screening with 'unmountable boot volume'.....

2. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

sorry i hit enter too fast... can i merely reinstall win xp and avoid reinstalling all the other software? many thanks

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

thanks for the link... tried my best to repair... to no avail. good thing is that i've been quite studious in saving data to usb stick and backing up... only hassle now is reloading all the programs... not sure if this needs a new thread, but any recommendations on ghosting, imaging, backup/restore tools? many thanks, yodel99

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I use Acronis True Image to make images of my computers about once a month.

Once you have the computer the way you want it, install Acronis and make an emergency boot CD. That will run the program even if your hd is toast. Test the emergency cd by booting from it to be sure that Acronis will load into RAM from the CD.

Then make an image and spend the time verifying it; there is nothing worse than assuming an image is good and discovering when you need to use it that it is not good.

Do those few things and you will be set for fixing computer disasters by restoring a previous image.

6. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

will try it... thanks, yodel99

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds