Help with copy and paste caution warning

Discussion in 'Software' started by katrina, Jun 1, 2008.

1. katrina

katrina Private E-2

I've been using windows since 3.1 and word processing since 1980, and I've never come across this problem before.

I automatically use Ctr +c and Ctr +v to copy and paste (programmed before the invention of the mouse!!).

Now all of a sudden, every time I try to copy, I can't use these short-cuts but instead have to go to - edit - copy - edit - paste. I get a pop-up window asking me...

"do you want to allow this page to paste information from your clipboard. With two buttons yes and no. I press yes, and then when I want to paste, I get the same query.

How on earth can I turn this off, because it's driving me insane. There is no option to "not show this again!".

Thankyou so much in anticipation.
    Katrina

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I suppose it depends on what you're copy-n-paste-ing but I've been using the right-click-copy and right-click-paste for years without any problems. It works with files, folders, shortcuts, web links, whatever....

3. katrina

katrina Private E-2

I'm not copying and pasting anything different from anyone else, and I've never had any problems.

Since I did a clean sweep - virus check - anti-spy, this is where it seems to have stemmed from.

I can copy and paste, but not without a pre-warning first and that's the bit I don't understand.

Why is my pc is asking me all of a sudden, when it never asked before?

btw, my operating system is Windows XP. (The pc was bought in 2005, so it's been fine for the past 3 years. ).

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Possible that Sticky Keys has been enabled in Accesability Options in Control Panel for the Keyboard, check that for being ticked and untick it.

Also outside chance is keyboard driver is corrupted, so in Device Manager delete keyboard and reboot and driver will be installed ( unless your keyboard has a specific driver as in many Logitechs or Microsoft Intelli ) or at worse keyboard is broken or with stuck keys, so swap out with known good one to test with if CRTL+C and V work then its not the OS.

Did you have or find malware?

5. katrina

katrina Private E-2

Yes, I had malware. I put a post on Malware about it. It was the blue screen/cockroach thingymajig.

That's when I did the clean sweep.

I'll try the keyboard option first, it may be a malfunctioning keyboard because I had problems with the Shift + A on the right hand side, although its working now, it wasn't for a while.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds