Help With Defragging...

Discussion in 'Software' started by 4einc, Oct 18, 2011.

1. 4einc

4einc Private E-2

I'm so use to using a 32bit OS I recently joined the rest of the world and got a 64bit OS (Windows 7 Home Premium) anyways for the most part I continued to use the same programs from my 32bit days to my 64bit days changing up anything to 64bit if it gives me that option...

But here's where I run into problems, I don't know what to use for a defragger, I have a subscription for O&O Defrag 14, although the screen saver mode seems to dislike my computer now as it runs very groggy to the point of freezing, so I don't know what to use to defrag things.

Does having a 64bit defragger make that big of a difference over having a 32bit defragger ?

Any suggestions and comments are appreciated as I continue to look for a new defragger.

Thanks;
    Shane

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi mate , why do not use windows deframent tool ? Another thinking of me is using Defraggler

http://majorgeeks.com/Defraggler_d5777.html

which supported of 64 bit operating systems !! :wave

3. 4einc

4einc Private E-2

Hi FalconAttack;

Trust me I have thought about using windows default defragger, although I always get discourged by other reviews as some people swear by it and others say its garbage...

I'll try Defraggler for sure, I've always been a big fan of Ccleaner.

Thanks sir.

4. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Simply said, No.
    It does not affect how files are stored on a hard disk.

Puran Defrag is popular among MG forum members and Major Attitude has produced a good overview tutorial video which you can view on the program download page.

From the Puran Software web site:

5. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> But here's where I run into problems, I don't know what to use for a defragger <<

Look no further... I have tested many of these 'defraggers' and in my opinion Smart Defrag 2 is simply the best out there. It has many of the qualities/options that 'shareware' defragmentation utilities have such as: Boot-time Defrag, Performance Boost, Automatic Defrag, and Defrag Speed. Also Smart Defrag 2 can be set to work automatically and quietly in the background on your PC. I use this instead of the default Windows defrag tool because it runs smoother and has way more options than most other freeware utility provide.

You can download Smart Defrag 2 from right here at Major Geeks as well as IObit.com (if you want to check out the various features)

Good Luck

COMP

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

4einc, if your hard drive is an ssd do not defrag it! It shortens the life.
    If you are not sure what kind of hard drive you have post the brand and model so we can research.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds