Help with Foxconn mobo please

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JeanetteNZ, Oct 21, 2009.

1. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

Hi
    Just installing a new Foxconn M61PMV and processor into old computer and cant figure out where to plug in my dvd burner. It only has one IDE connection and one floppy drive connection and I have two ribbon cables, one for old hard drive and one for old dvd burner. I cant fit the dvd cable into floppy drive connection (cable connection too long). So do I connect hard drive into IDE connection and then connect dvd burner into slave connection??I read somewhere this is not good idea as can slow down hard drive. Have read manual in detail but it shows a different connection for hard drive which I presume is for a newer type. Hope this is clear...this is my first motherboard installation. Many thanks in advance.

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes. Make sure the jumpers on the back of the drives are properly set. You have two options. The first is to set the HD to Master and the DVD to Slave and attach the drives to appropriate cable connection (the slave is in the middle, offset from the center, closer to the master end). The second option is to put both to CS and let the system sort out Master and Slave based on where the drives are attached to the cable.

As far as degraded performance, it should not be an issue except when using the DVD at the same time, and even then it is not likely you would notice anything, assuming adequate RAM. Besides, you have little choice - you only have one IDE connection. You can buy a PCI IDE card, but I don't that as being necessary unless you plan on installing more than 2 IDE devices.

That said, SATA is replacing IDE for a reason, SATA is better. You might consider getting a new SATA DVD, then you don't need to worry about multiple drives on a IDE cable.

DON'T EVEN TRY! A floppy controller is NOT a hard drive controller, the connections are different, and are NOT compatible.

3. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

Thank you Digerati, you guys are awesome.....I love this website:)

4. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Good to see you got the build almost up and running and I concur with Digerati DVD to slave and HDD to Primary. Performance degradation will be limited to access of DVD. On a side point you can buy HDD Sata II quite cheaply now and you should be able to find them on a NZ forum for about $20 as new technology is becoming "more affordable", i.e. SSD, like:

http://forums.overclockers.co.nz/

I can get SATA HDD very often from http://forums.overclockers.com.au/index.php in their for sale section within my "locality". I previously bought a 160GB SATA II HDD for $20AUD the missus PC after it passed to standard tests.

5. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

Thanks my ozzie friend, on your advise I decided to buy a Sata 1TB hard drive and have installed so everything in this computer is new except for dvd burner. It was a fantastic feeling when it booted up perfectly and I am just installing OS. My first build YAY:cool

6. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Awesome the first is always a great feeling. Just hope you don't get the "itch" and want to do more.....;-).

At least you didn't have to pay some one to do it when it is fairly straightforward.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Once all is installed it is always worth do some "baseline" assessments of CPU temp, scanning RAM, etc to make sure all parts are working properly and nothing is tending to DOA.

Use EVEREST Free Edition 2.20 to get a look at your baseline temps.

Then I would run MemTest 4.0 for at least 1 pass to make sure the RAM seems fine, let it run and go and watch the news etc.

If temps are good (say 35-45C) I would run OCCT 3.1.0 to purposely stress it for 10-15mins (Custom time) and then look at the graphs presented. What are the temps like etc etc.

Mine will hit 60C after 10-15 run but that is fine because it is loading CPU to 100% (generally above and beyond any normal daily usage).

8. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

And, you learned a bunch about your computer along the way.

9. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

Ok very embarrasing....but I am now locked out of my new computer lol:-o Everything was going well but decided to change login (XP) so it went straight through instead of clicking on user. Googled and found what I thought were straight forward instructions run, userpasswords2, then unclicked box (cant remember exactly what it said..something about not having to log in). Then another box came up with something about administrator so I put in the administrator password that I set up when first installed, then verified same password clicked ok and restarted. Now when computer starts it shows xp log in window in background with Administrator and astericks in password box then another window in front saying "The system could not log you in. Make sure your user name and domain are correct then type your password again". I then click ok and this window goes and have tried re typing admin password in other box, then changing user name from admin to my name (account name) and the bloody thing will not let me in. Have googled until the skin has worn off my fingers and cannot find an answer. Cant believe I did this stupid thing :cry

10. JeanetteNZ

JeanetteNZ Private E-2

I am back into computer Phew but not sure problem solved I cannot change admin password through user accounts

Last edited: Oct 25, 2009
  11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

12. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try signing in to Administrator account from safe mode and see if you can change the password there. Or "control userpasswords2" should give you access to the Administrator account but safemode might be easier to navigate.

13. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds