Help with "Free Download Manager"

Discussion in 'Software' started by TeeCee, May 12, 2009.

1. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, I need some advice on how to get my 'Free Download Manager' to download a LARGE download....

Problem: I have Trend Micro PC-Cillin Internet Security 14
    I got an e-mail form Trend Micro that they are no longer going to support this version, and my subscription is paid thru 12/28/2009. So, they are offering me a free upgrade to "Trend Micro Internet Security 16 for Dell".

Great, except this is a 48.4 MB and nearly impossible on dial-up:cry
    Now, I did get the first part on the FDM, which was "EZ install .exe". When I double-clicked onto that, I got the "Receiveing Installation Program; Installation will begin when the download completes"

My problem is, the Download Manager did not pick this up.. and since it is only picking up 4kb a second, is there any way I can get the Download Manager to pick this up, even if I have to start all over again? I started it at 7:30, and so far it has downloaded 9.8 MB of the 48.4 MB needed at only 4 kb a second... Any suggestions? Once the EZ install .exe is double-clicked, there is no save, run, or anything, it just starts to load...

this may be an impossible task for me, on dial-up, and that is the biggest reason I downloaded the Download Manager...

2. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Are having trouble staying connected? If so, you can reconnect and tell FDM to download the file again. It should ask you if you want to restart, rename, or resume. Click resume and FDM should pick up from where it left off. You might try to find a friend that has broad band that can download the file for you and burn it to a CD. If that option isn't available then:

Make sure FDM is configured best for your situation.

Click "Options" then settings.
    In the settings dialog window go down to "New Download" on the tree and select it.
    Click on the "Advanced" button to the right of the "Set default download folder" button.
    You're now in the "Default download settings" dialog window.
    Under the "Connection" tab, make sure the "ignore all restrictions" option, at the bottom is checked and click "OK".
    Now you're back in the "Settings" dialog, click on "Network" in the tree.
    Make sure "Select mode to configure:" is set to "Heavy mode" and that the 3 options below that are checked. Make sure the "Decrease traffic usage on browser activity" is unchecked, click "OK".
    Back in the main view mode, click on "Options" again, and select "Optimization master". You'll be presented a pop up dialog asking you to "Please select connection type". In your case it should probably be "56K Modem/ISDN". Click "Finish". Exit FDM and then restart it.

While you are trying to download this file, try not to do any other internet activity such as surfing or playing online games and make sure nothing else is running in the backround trying to access the internet.

By my, really rough, calculations it shouldn't take more than around 4 hours to download a 48.4mb file. I know, that's a long time but in this case it may be worth it.

3. plastidust

Drat... my fumble fingers weren't fast enough for the edit time limit. Any way, it may be that the "EZ install" must make the download itself, in which case FDM is taken out of the picture.

4. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, and yes, that is the case.... I haven't been able to get the FDM to picku THE download... It did pick up the "EZ INstall" just fine, but THAT is what downloads the file, and there is no SAVE, RUN, or CANCEL. on that... Oh, this should be FUN! If there was, I could go to the library and burn it, but I do not have any 'say-so' in this one.. May just call and see if they can send me a CD. Yup, plastidust, you hit the nail on the head this time!:major

5. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

By George, I think we have got it..... :-D They sent me a new link, and FDM is picking it up as I type...This is what I downloaded FDM for in teh first place, but I needed a direct link to the download, so I could byppass the "EZ Installer" and now it is on a roll..... ;)

There is nothing "EZ" about that "EZ Install" with DUN!! :-D:-D:-D

6. plastidust

Glad you got it going. Yup... large online updates are no fun with DUN.

7. TeeCee

TeeCee MajorGeek

Hello, plastidust, yes, those HUGE downloads are a bear, but once I got the proper link, it was very smooth sailing... Yup, got it all downloaded, and installed. :wine That FDM is a real gem, for sure! I don't think I could have done it with out it... :grouphug

I would advise anyone on a DUN to download that puppy! :cloud9

It sure does make downloads a breeze......

A special thanks to Halo! ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds