Help with itunes/cd burnerxp problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by vikster10, May 23, 2008.

1. vikster10

vikster10 Private E-2

Hi, I dont know if I am posting this in the right place so maybe someone can direct me if not.

I have had a problem in that I cannot burn CD's from my itunes music programme which includes music purchased and uploaded from my cd's. The cd-r's are fine and I seem to be finding that a lot of people cannot burn cd's from itunes. I posted a question on Cnet forums and someone suggested I try CDburnerXP. I looked at the reviews here and they seemed to be good so I downloaded it along with some kind of...framework .net3 ???? (i am not good at computers, I really have beginners knowledge so please dont baffle me) that it said I required in order for it to function on my PC.

Well the short story is that the cd burner opened and I dragged my itunes music folder into it. It refused to burn the music as it said they are M4P files and windows cannot open it. Now my music has all disappeared from my itunes program and I cant even play it on the PC anymore never mind a CD!

I have tried to restore my system in case that would help but for some reason the system cannot restore it to a restore point successfully. Please help me. I am devastated at losing my music and dont want to have to buy it all again. I also need to know how on earth I will ever be able to burn Cd's in the future. This is all driving me CRAZY !!!!

2. Vikingman4456

Vikingman4456 Private First Class

Maybe try a burner program such as Nero or Roxio this may cure your issue?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Welcome to Major Geeks!
    Go to your My Music folder (it's in My Documents) and look for the iTunes folder. Open it up and make sure the music is still there. If it is, then is has just been 'disconnected' from iTunes. Now, I'm not an iTunes user, but I do have a bit of experience with it. If the iTunes folder still has all your music in it, you should be able launch iTunes, and use the 'add music library' function (I'm not sure if that's the exact name, but it's close) and then point it to the iTunes folder in My Music. If it doesn't work, temporarily rename the iTunes music folder to "iTunes_Music" or something, or make a copy of it in a different location. Then uninstall iTunes (go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs) and restart the computer. When Windows loads up again, download and install the iTunes program, but don't launch it yet. Go back into My Music and rename the iTunes_Music folder back to the original iTunes, then launch the iTunes program and it should automatically pick up your music and incorporate it. Now, the reason you can't burn the iTunes music is because it's protected by DRM (Digital Rights Management). I believe you can remove DRM by using myFairTunes (a free download here http://www.majorgeeks.com/myFairTunes_d5812.html). Lots of other DRM removal programs and tips can be found here http://www.undrm.info/remove-DRM-protection/ and most of the programs are free. Keep in mind, all this is probably going to be a real learning experience for you, so be patient, take your time, make sure you have a back up of all your music (make a copy of the music folder like I mentioned above and leave it alone 'just in case'), and have a six pack ready. :drink Now, keep in mind I have never dealt with DRM personally, I just happen to know a little bit about it. Once the DRM is removed, you can burn the audio files as MP3s or as standard CD audio for playback in any CD player (you'll have to convert the songs, but that's easy). If you need help along the way, that's what we're here for ;)

Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds