Help with Maxtor external hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BlakeW2, Mar 13, 2007.

1. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

Have Windows XP with everything updated, all service packs in place, driver updated.

While my computer will recognize the Maxtor 3200 USB external hard drive and I can even populate/format it, I can't transfer any files to it and it doesn't show up on my Windows Explorer function.

I have done a search on this problem with no successful tips as of yet.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can get this to work?

Thanks

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

In my computer right click the usb external device
    choose properties
    choose autoplay tab
    select open folders to view files using windows explorer.

You may also check on the other settings tabs.

If this does not work or the USB device is not listed in my computer
    take it back to the shop and get them to demonstrate, on another pc that it is working.

Studio T

3. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

The only place I can see the device is on the device manager and it doesn't give me the autoplay tab on the properties tabs.

Any way to make it appear on any other section other than just device manager?

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

5. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

Have managed to get this drive to at least be recognized but still won't show up on explorer. Any help before I make it a paperweight? :cry

Seagate people have no good ideas.

6. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Is your pc old enough to only have USB1
    The Maxtor will almost cetainly be USB2 only.
    In that case a USB 2 card might sort the problem.

Studio T

7. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

It is definitely USB 2. The computer recognizes the device and says it is working properly. It just won't give me access to it.

8. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Can you post an Everest report, with the drive attached?

Everest is in the most popular downloads list.

Studio T

9. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Since Seagate can't help we are looking at an oddball here, so don't be too quick to dismiss ideas.

Actual pcs were the last items to have USB2 and many users have bought USB2 devices and found problems. Some are even 'backward compatible' but the problems still occur.

Another thing to look at is in device manager
    start>run>typein
    devmgmt.msc
    Right click the drive
    The options depend on the software, if any, you installed with the drive and that in the drive itself.
    Look for the POLICIES tab
    In theory the choice 'Optimise for performance' should be enabled.
    try 'Optimise for quick removal'

What other parameters are you offered and what are their settings?

Studio T

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Two questions to ponder

Did it ever work?
    Does it work now with a different computer?

Studio T

11. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

It worked for my other PC, my friend's laptop, and even a 7 year old computer at work.

12. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

OK that's good in an odd sort of way beacause we know to concentrate on your pc. Fault finding is often a process pf elimination.

How are you getting on with the other stuff I posted?

Studio T

13. BlakeW2

BlakeW2 Private E-2

Sorry for the delayed reply. I did everything stated previously and have gotten the computer to at least recognize and somewhat format the drive.

It still will not allow me to access it and when I try to "Explore" it, it says that the drive does not contain a recognized file system, even though I have partitioned the drive, populated it, and assigned it a drive letter of G:.

If anyone has any more help, I would be grateful as I really do not want to lose all of these files.

If I hooked the USB port of this computer to another, could I then move these files to another computer on which the Maxxtor drive is working???

14. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Have you tried plugging the drive in after windows has booted?
    Many users report problems with the drive being ready before windows and then not being recognised.

Studio T

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds