Help with my slow running XP Machine

Discussion in 'Software' started by Brendan Ramsey, Feb 5, 2007.

1. Brendan Ramsey

Brendan Ramsey Private E-2

I was wondering if someone might be able to help me. In recent months my PC hasn't been performing very well and is very slow, whenever loading up or switching between applications. I have cleared lots of unused movies and music etc off the hard drive, and now have ample space on there (25.7GB free on a 40GB HD). I have also been through the Malware Removal User Guide, and chaslang has confirmed that my machine is Malware free. So I am at a bit of a loss as to what is going on.

I do keep getting messages about my virtual memory being low though. Not sure if that gives a clue as to the problem?

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

Your "Registry" probable has picked up many stray entries over the months and may need to be cleaned out, for that you can use CCleaner, and if fairly Computer savvy RegSeeker to further clean the Registry. You may have also downloaded some new applications either through MS Updates or by yourself that require more RAM usage.........512Mb is almost the "Bare" minimum with most new apps, with 1Gb becoming almost the norm with New Machines. CCleaner(Slim) and RegSeeker are available for download here at MG. Please note that any tampering with your Registry can cause permanent damage to your OS so proceed slowly and always back-up your registry changes, which both programs provide. Hope that Helps

3. foot loose

foot loose Private E-2

you may have alot of unused programs running in the back ground,,turn them off by going to start/run then type msconfig then go to the startup tab

4. Brendan Ramsey

Thanks. In CCleaner, is the scan I want to do under Issues, on the Registry Intergrity? I ran a scan but haven't yet fixed any problems. I seem to have a lot of unused file extensions and missing shared DLLs, whatever they might be, amoungst other things.

5. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

CCleaner is safe to use for registry cleaning ...go ahead and fix

6. Brendan Ramsey

Hi. Here are all of the listings under my start up tab:

igfxtray
    hkcmd
    IntelMEM
    DSentry
    bldbubg
    DATALA~1
    TRAYAP~1
    dumprep 0 -u
    DrgtoDsc
    SM1BG
    avgcc
    zclient
    MSASCui
    Communications Helper
    QuickCam10
    LVComSX
    ypager
    InsDetect
    ctfmon
    efax Tray Menu 3.3
    Microsoft Office
    WinZip Quick Pick

Can you see any obvious ones I can disable? I know that there are some obvious ones that I can't, like Microsoft Office, zclient and avgcc (firewall and anti-virus).

7. Brendan Ramsey

Should I back up changes to the registry?

8. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I haven't backed up my issues running CCleaner in a long time, but it doesn't hurt just to make sure that all goes well. Have you gone into Options>>Advanced and made sure that the box that says "show prompt to backup issues" is checked? If it is, go ahead and fix following the prompts and click the back up as you go through them

9. Brendan Ramsey

Thanks very much musksnipe, I have done it now.

10. croizanne

croizanne Private E-2

Hello Brendan,
    Welcome to majorgeek! try this blackviper tweaks. http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=12
    Try also to remove programs that you dont use. Defrag your hard drive. Hope this helps.

11. foot loose

foot loose Private E-2

yeh turn them all off apart from fwall and avg..but you don,t really need ms office running in the back ground as u can start this program when ever you need it. also if you still ant 2 sure then just google each one individualy and find out what that program dose and see if you need it to run on start up.:cool

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

All I have running on startup is firewall, anti-virus, and anti-spyware.This makes for faster boot time and also keeps software that you don't need from running in the background. Of course you may want or need something else always running, so customize your starup your way, but remember that every new program running will slow you down some.

13. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

14. Brendan Ramsey

I have now completed the Blackviper tweaks, to have startup programs running in "safe" config, and have cleaned my registery using CCleaner and RegSeeker. Haven't noticed any major improvements as yet.

15. Brendan Ramsey

I have done that, but notice now that I am loading up in Selective Startup, as oppose to Normal Startup, is that right?

If I go back to normal will I loose the changes I made?

16. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes! That is correct! You can use MSconfig to determine if any of these (or groups of them) are responsible for what you are saying is a slow PC. Then decide what to do about it.

You don't really want to disable all of those listed anyway. Some you may need. For example, MSASCui, is Windows Defender and this is your realtime defense against malware.

And some of the other items were for features that you may actually use. You cannot allow some one else to decide for you what you actually need. You have to determine what the process is and decide for yourself if you need it.

17. Brendan Ramsey

Thanks chaslang. I had actually disabled Windows Defender, so good job you picked that up. I also noticed that my AV anti virus software isn't running scans daily, even though it is scheduled to. I don' think I have disabled this feature though, looking at the list above.

18. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

Yes you may have, and this is why I said don't let anyone else decide for you what to disable. First of all not everyone is an expert and you may not get correct information. Second as I already said, no one knows what you use/need or don't need except you. If you disabled this avgcc then you disabled AVG. If you disabled zclient then you disabled your ZoneAlarm firewall. Note that it was mentioned that you should not disable AVG or ZoneAlarm but no specifics on what processes they are were given to you by foot loose.

Also you were told to disable this ctfmon which you cannot do. It will just come back. You need to follow special procedures to stop this from loading assuming you don't need it. See: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282599

You may have disabled other features that you may need too, like Roxio's Drag to Disc for one!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds